Replication

From
Nathan Reilly
Date:
I'm sure this is not the correct place to ask this, but:

I've been looking for documents and other info on replication efforts in
PostgreSQL. If anyone here can point me to places where I can find
these, it would be really appreciated.

Also, if any of you have any comments and warnings about current
implementations (if there are any) I'd like to hear those too.

Many thanks

Nathan

Re: Replication

From
Darren Johnson

> I've been looking for documents and other info on replication efforts
> in  PostgreSQL. If anyone here can point me to places where I can
> find  these, it would be really appreciated.

Here is some research work that was conducted a few months ago.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/genpage?replication_research

The project page for this research is here.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

> Also, if any of you have any comments and warnings about current
> implementations (if there are any) I'd like to hear those too.

It really depends on what type of replication your looking for.
Synchronous or Asynchronous.  Master/Slave or
Multi-Master.

Darren

Re: Replication

From
bpalmer
Date:
> I've been looking for documents and other info on replication efforts in
> PostgreSQL. If anyone here can point me to places where I can find
> these, it would be really appreciated.

It really depends on your replication needs.  I would suggest taking a
look at gborg.postgresql.org for any of the replication projects there.
There are some that work,  some that don't and some that are still in the
works.

> Also, if any of you have any comments and warnings about current
> implementations (if there are any) I'd like to hear those too.

Also in the works is adding the ability to postgresql native to do
replication.  That is,  however,  at least as far away as the next version
(7.3,  ~6-8 months).

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: Replication

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
Try http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

Chris

Re: Replication

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> I've been looking for documents and other info on replication efforts in
> PostgreSQL. If anyone here can point me to places where I can find
> these, it would be really appreciated.

PostgreSQL Inc offers asynchronous one-way replication, used and proven
in high throughput environments. The original prototype implementation
is available as a contrib package in the PostgreSQL source tree.

I think that there are other efforts at different styles of replication
but do not know the current status.

HTH
                    - Thomas