Patches (current CVS) for changes if index AM tables

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi,

we finished first stage of our proposal for changing of index AM tables
(see for reference http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1029290)

I attached 3 files:

1. patch_72_systbl.gz - patch to current CVS
2. btree_gist.tar.gz  - contrib/btree_gist module -                       implementation of Btree using GiST with
               support of int4 and timestamp types.

3. test.tar.gz        - test suite for brave (not for applying !)

Regression tests and our tests passed fine
Patch is for today CVS, please apply them asap to avoid possible
conflicts.

Now we're going to 2nd stage of our proposal.
We plan to remove pg_index.indislossy (now we have pg_amop.amopreqcheck)
and  pg_index.indhaskeytype (it's just don't used, all functionality                            is in
pg_opclass.opckeytypenow)

question:

Do we need to normalize pg_amop and pg_amproc tables ?
Tom was concerned (http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1025860)
about possible performance degradation.

We think it's possible to leave tables as is. Of course it'd require
some attention when updating these tables.

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Patches (current CVS) for changes if index AM tables

Date:

> Hi,
>
> we finished first stage of our proposal for changing of index AM tables
> (see for reference http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1029290)
>
> I attached 3 files:
>
> 1. patch_72_systbl.gz - patch to current CVS
> 2. btree_gist.tar.gz  - contrib/btree_gist module -
>                         implementation of Btree using GiST with
>                         support of int4 and timestamp types.
> 3. test.tar.gz        - test suite for brave (not for applying !)
>
> Regression tests and our tests passed fine
> Patch is for today CVS, please apply them asap to avoid possible
> conflicts.
>
> Now we're going to 2nd stage of our proposal.
> We plan to remove pg_index.indislossy (now we have pg_amop.amopreqcheck)
> and  pg_index.indhaskeytype (it's just don't used, all functionality
>                              is in pg_opclass.opckeytype now)
>
> question:
>
> Do we need to normalize pg_amop and pg_amproc tables ?
> Tom was concerned (http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1025860)
> about possible performance degradation.
>
> We think it's possible to leave tables as is. Of course it'd require
> some attention when updating these tables.
>

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Patches (current CVS) for changes if index AM tables

Date:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> thanks, please know we prepared a patch for contrib/btree_gist. It fixes
> memory leak and improve performance. Should I sent it right now or
> wait until you apply previous patches.

I haven't touched that contrib code yet at all.  Why don't you just
re-wrap that tarball with the updates and resubmit it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Patches (current CVS) for changes if index AM tables

Date:
> I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours.

I will take responsibility for reviewing and applying this patch.  In a
quick lookover, I saw a few adjustments I wanted to make...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours.
>
> I will take responsibility for reviewing and applying this patch.  In a
> quick lookover, I saw a few adjustments I wanted to make...

thanks, please know we prepared a patch for contrib/btree_gist. It fixes
memory leak and improve performance. Should I sent it right now or
wait until you apply previous patches.

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Patches (current CVS) for changes if index AM tables

Date:
Got it.

> > I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours.
>
> I will take responsibility for reviewing and applying this patch.  In a
> quick lookover, I saw a few adjustments I wanted to make...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > thanks, please know we prepared a patch for contrib/btree_gist. It fixes
> > memory leak and improve performance. Should I sent it right now or
> > wait until you apply previous patches.
>
> I haven't touched that contrib code yet at all.  Why don't you just
> re-wrap that tarball with the updates and resubmit it?

ok. I attached btree_gist.tar.gz which should be used instead of
older one.