OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi,

I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.

Short blurb:
 OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engine that provides online
indexingof data and relevance ranking for database searching. Close integration with database allows use of metadata to
restrictsearch results.

This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org and
several other sites. Perl version is available for download,
TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -
actually it just needs to wrap a release.

The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/

OpenFTS team: Oleg Bartunov       - Project Manager Teodor Sigaev       - Principal Developer Daniel Wickstrom    -
Developerof TCL Version Neophytos Demetriou - Documentation Writer

Copyright:
 OpenFTS is Copyright 2000-2001 XWare and licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (June 1991). This
meansyou can use it and modify it in any way you want. If you choose to redistribute OpenFTS, you must do so under the
termsof the GNU license.

Regards,    Oleg

PS.

Marc,

I didn't subscribe to announce list. I think it's worth to
put link somewhere to OpenFTS web site

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

Date:
GREAT!  We need to get this information to people so they know it is
available.  It is a major feature that few people know exists.

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.
>
> Short blurb:
>
>   OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine)
>   is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engine
>   that provides online indexing of data and relevance
>   ranking for database searching. Close integration
>   with database allows use of metadata to restrict
>   search results.
>
> This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org and
> several other sites. Perl version is available for download,
> TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -
> actually it just needs to wrap a release.
>
> The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/
>
> OpenFTS team:
>   Oleg Bartunov       - Project Manager
>   Teodor Sigaev       - Principal Developer
>   Daniel Wickstrom    - Developer of TCL Version
>   Neophytos Demetriou - Documentation Writer
>
> Copyright:
>
>   OpenFTS is Copyright 2000-2001 XWare and
>   licensed under the GNU General Public License,
>   version 2 (June 1991). This means you can use it
>   and modify it in any way you want. If you choose to
>   redistribute OpenFTS, you must do so under the
>   terms of the GNU license.
>
>     Regards,
>         Oleg
>
> PS.
>
> Marc,
>
> I didn't subscribe to announce list. I think it's worth to
> put link somewhere to OpenFTS web site

> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19026

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Maybe it would be worth creating a "PostgreSQL Extensions" section on
techdocs.postgresql.org?

+ Justin

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> GREAT!  We need to get this information to people so they know it is
> available.  It is a major feature that few people know exists.
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.
> >
> > Short blurb:
> >
> >   OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine)
> >   is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engine
> >   that provides online indexing of data and relevance
> >   ranking for database searching. Close integration
> >   with database allows use of metadata to restrict
> >   search results.
> >
> > This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org and
> > several other sites. Perl version is available for download,
> > TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -
> > actually it just needs to wrap a release.
> >
> > The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > OpenFTS team:
> >   Oleg Bartunov       - Project Manager
> >   Teodor Sigaev       - Principal Developer
> >   Daniel Wickstrom    - Developer of TCL Version
> >   Neophytos Demetriou - Documentation Writer
> >
> > Copyright:
> >
> >   OpenFTS is Copyright 2000-2001 XWare and
> >   licensed under the GNU General Public License,
> >   version 2 (June 1991). This means you can use it
> >   and modify it in any way you want. If you choose to
> >   redistribute OpenFTS, you must do so under the
> >   terms of the GNU license.
> >
> >       Regards,
> >               Oleg
> >
> > PS.
> >
> > Marc,
> >
> > I didn't subscribe to announce list. I think it's worth to
> > put link somewhere to OpenFTS web site

> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

Date:
> Maybe it would be worth creating a "PostgreSQL Extensions" section on
> techdocs.postgresql.org?

Don't we have one on the main site in the User's Lounge?PostgreSQL In Real World                     PostgreSQL
enhancements                     Interfacing PostgreSQL with other software

Pennsylvania19026

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Cool.

I forgot about that.

:(

+ Justin

tolik@aaanet.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Date:
OB> Hi,OB> I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.
OB> Short blurb:
OB> OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine)OB> is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engineOB> that provides
onlineindexing of data and relevanceOB> ranking for database searching. Close integrationOB> with database allows use
ofmetadata to restrictOB> search results.

OB> This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org andOB> several other sites. Perl version is available for
download,OB>TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -OB> actually it just needs to wrap a
release.
OB> The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/

Sorry, but I have received:

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.19 Server at openfts.sourceforge.net Port 80

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff                 Email:    tolik@aaanet.ru
http://tolikus.hq.aaanet.ru:8080

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
Now all is ok, it was a temrorary difficulties.

teodor@stack.net

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Anatoly,

Just tried it, it works for me.

Would it possibly be your browser is broken?

If not, maybe you got to it during an update, etc.  Does it work for you
now?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

"Anatoly K. Lasareff" wrote:

>  OB> Hi,
>  OB> I'm about to announce a release of OpenFTS search engine.
>
>  OB> Short blurb:
>
>  OB> OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine)
>  OB> is an advanced PostgreSQL-based search engine
>  OB> that provides online indexing of data and relevance
>  OB> ranking for database searching. Close integration
>  OB> with database allows use of metadata to restrict
>  OB> search results.
>
>  OB> This is actually what we use at fts.postgresql.org and
>  OB> several other sites. Perl version is available for download,
>  OB> TCL version (with AOL server support) will be available soon -
>  OB> actually it just needs to wrap a release.
>
>  OB> The OpenFTS project web site - http://openfts.sourceforge.net/
>
> Sorry, but I have received:
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL / was not found on this server.
>
> Apache/1.3.19 Server at openfts.sourceforge.net Port 80
>
> --
> Anatoly K. Lasareff                 Email:    tolik@aaanet.ru
>                              http://tolikus.hq.aaanet.ru:8080

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Maybe it would be worth creating a "PostgreSQL Extensions" section on
> > techdocs.postgresql.org?
> >

> Don't we have one on the main site in the User's Lounge?
>
>     PostgreSQL In Real World
>
>                          PostgreSQL enhancements
>                          Interfacing PostgreSQL with other software

Yes and I plan on adding it in when I get back in town.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Maybe it would be worth creating a "PostgreSQL Extensions" section on
> > > techdocs.postgresql.org?
> > >

> > Don't we have one on the main site in the User's Lounge?
> >
> >     PostgreSQL In Real World
> >
> >                          PostgreSQL enhancements
> >                          Interfacing PostgreSQL with other software
>
> Yes and I plan on adding it in when I get back in town.

Correction, I had a few minutes so I added it to the Projects Relating
to PostgreSQL page.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: OpenFTS (Open Source Full Text Search engine) pre-announce

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
Doh!  Guess that makes our work on contrib/fulltextindex a waste of time,
huh?

Chris

Date:
I am not sure how they compare.  I have gotten little information on the
openFTP project.