Indexing on a separate volume

From
mlw
Date:
I was thinking this morning, how much work would it be to change the directory
structure of Postgres.

from:

postgres/base/    db1/    db2/    db3/    ...pg_xlog/

postgres/base/    db1/    db2/    db3/    ...index/    db1/    db2/    db3/    ...pg_xlog/

Or
postgres/base/    db1/        data/        index/    db2/        data/        index/    db3/        data/        index/
  ...pg_xlog/

This sort of arangment would allow putting indexes on separate volumes. If it
is a stupid idea, with little value or a huge amount of work, I take it back.
Seriously, however, does it make any sense?

Re: Indexing on a separate volume

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, mlw wrote:

> I was thinking this morning, how much work would it be to change the directory
> structure of Postgres.

Another useful change would be the addition of directory splitting in the
database directories. This will increase performance on operating systems
whose filesystem performance drops dramatically with a large number of
files (say, large objects) in a single directory.

Gavin

Re: Indexing on a separate volume

It is a good idea.  See the web-based TODO list under tablespaces for a
discussion.

> I was thinking this morning, how much work would it be to change the directory
> structure of Postgres.
>
> from:
>
> postgres/
>     base/
>         db1/
>         db2/
>         db3/
>     pg_xlog/

> postgres/
>     base/
>         db1/
>         db2/
>         db3/
>         db1/
>         db2/
>         db3/
>     pg_xlog/
>
> Or
> postgres/
>     base/
>         db1/
>             data/
>         db2/
>             data/
>         db3/
>             data/
>     pg_xlog/
>
> This sort of arangment would allow putting indexes on separate volumes. If it
> is a stupid idea, with little value or a huge amount of work, I take it back.
> Seriously, however, does it make any sense?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Indexing on a separate volume

Date:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, mlw wrote:
>
> > I was thinking this morning, how much work would it be to change the directory
> > structure of Postgres.
>
> Another useful change would be the addition of directory splitting in the
> database directories. This will increase performance on operating systems
> whose filesystem performance drops dramatically with a large number of
> files (say, large objects) in a single directory.

Good news is that in 7.1 large objects are all in one file.  Again, see
the TODO.detail about tablespaces.

Pennsylvania19026