cstring datatype

From
Alex Pilosov
Date:
Awhile ago, I remember discussion about having a 'cstring' datatype in
pgsql with builtin understanding that to convert to cstring you need to
use xxx_out and to convert from cstring you need to use yyy_in.

Anything came out of this discussion? It seems it'd be a great way to
have easiest datatype conversions where its possible at all.
(I.E. data::foo::cstring::bar would do (essentially) bar_in(foo_out(data))

Thanks
-alex

Re: cstring datatype

Date:
Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> writes:
> Anything came out of this discussion?

Nothing's been done yet, but it still seems like a good idea.

There are a number of related issues that I'd want to see tackled
at the same time, all arising from the overuse of type OID zero to
mean several different things.
        regards, tom lane