Changes needed to build on NetBSD

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
A fellow NetBSD developer has sent me some changes needed to build 7.1
cleanly on NetBSD through its package system.  I am asking him a few
questions about it but I thought I would just commit them then if no one
has a problem.  They are mostly related to building cleanly on NetBSD.
Perhaps someone could watch source changes and just review the changes.
I am asking because I generally don't work on stuff outside of PyGreSQL.

Re: Changes needed to build on NetBSD

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> A fellow NetBSD developer has sent me some changes needed to build 7.1
> cleanly on NetBSD through its package system.  I am asking him a few
> questions about it but I thought I would just commit them then if no one
> has a problem.  They are mostly related to building cleanly on NetBSD.

Given that we had several successful reports for NetBSD for the 7.1
release I am suspicious about the definition of "clean".  Changes required
for binary(?) packaging generally do not count as bug fixes.  At least I'd
like to see a description of the problems first.

Re: Changes needed to build on NetBSD

Date:
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> A fellow NetBSD developer has sent me some changes needed to build 7.1
> cleanly on NetBSD through its package system.  I am asking him a few
> questions about it but I thought I would just commit them then if no one
> has a problem.  They are mostly related to building cleanly on NetBSD.
> Perhaps someone could watch source changes and just review the changes.
> I am asking because I generally don't work on stuff outside of PyGreSQL.

If you're not sure of them, I suggest posting the diffs on -patches
rather than committing them yourself.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Changes needed to build on NetBSD

Date:
If the changes relate only to NetBSD-specific parts of the code, I
usually apply the patch it if looks OK.  Shoot it to patches and we can
give it a quick review.

> A fellow NetBSD developer has sent me some changes needed to build 7.1
> cleanly on NetBSD through its package system.  I am asking him a few
> questions about it but I thought I would just commit them then if no one
> has a problem.  They are mostly related to building cleanly on NetBSD.
> Perhaps someone could watch source changes and just review the changes.
> I am asking because I generally don't work on stuff outside of PyGreSQL.
>
> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@{druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves
> http://www.druid.net/darcy/                |  and a sheep voting on
> +1 416 425 1212     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Changes needed to build on NetBSD

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
Thus spake Peter Eisentraut
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:
> > A fellow NetBSD developer has sent me some changes needed to build 7.1
> > cleanly on NetBSD through its package system.  I am asking him a few
> > questions about it but I thought I would just commit them then if no one
> > has a problem.  They are mostly related to building cleanly on NetBSD.
>
> Given that we had several successful reports for NetBSD for the 7.1
> release I am suspicious about the definition of "clean".  Changes required
> for binary(?) packaging generally do not count as bug fixes.  At least I'd
> like to see a description of the problems first.

Note the reference to "through its package system" above.  The package
builds fine on NetBSD.  This is just to make it easier to build it in
the more automated way that the package system does.

Anyway, I have sent the patches to the patches mailing list.