Re: [lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu: Third call for platform testing]

Date:
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:
> digging into the regression.diffs, i can see that:
> - reltime failed because it just had:
> ! psql: Backend startup failed
>    The postmaster log file should have more info, but a first thought is
>    that you ran up against process or swap-space limitations.  The parallel
>    check has fifty-odd processes going at its peak, which is more than the
>    default per-user process limit on many Unixen.

> hmm, maxproc=80 on this system currently and i wasn't really doing anything
> else.  it has 256MB ram and 280MB swap (unused).  exactly what am i looking
> for in the postmaster.log file?  it is 65kb long...

Look for messages about "fork failed".  They should give a kernel error
message too.
        regards, tom lane

re: [lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu: Third call for platform testing]

From
matthew green
Date:
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:  > digging into the regression.diffs, i can see that:  > - reltime failed
becauseit just had:  > ! psql: Backend startup failed       >    The postmaster log file should have more info, but a
firstthought is  >    that you ran up against process or swap-space limitations.  The parallel  >    check has
fifty-oddprocesses going at its peak, which is more than the  >    default per-user process limit on many Unixen.    >
hmm,maxproc=80 on this system currently and i wasn't really doing anything  > else.  it has 256MB ram and 280MB swap
(unused). exactly what am i looking  > for in the postmaster.log file?  it is 65kb long...    Look for messages about
"forkfailed".  They should give a kernel error  message too.

after running `unlimit' (tcsh) before `make check', the only failures i have
are the horology (expected) and the inherit sorted failures, on NetBSD/sparc64.

i also believe the `Bad address' errors were caused when the test was run in
an NFS mounted directory.

.mrg.

Re: [lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu: Third call for platform testing]

From
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Date:
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

> i also believe the `Bad address' errors were caused when the test
> was run in an NFS mounted directory.

You may have something, there.  My test run on the VAX was over NFS.
I set up NetBSD on a VAX specifically to test PostgreSQL 7.1, but I
didn't have any disk available that it could use, so I went for NFS.

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.