Release Candidate 1 ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Well, its been a hard, arduous journey for this one, with several delays
caused by the massive amount of changes that have gone into v7.1 ... but,
tonight I've finally wrapped up Release Candidate 1 ...

I'm going to hold off on a formal announcement to -announce until tomorrow
evening, to give the mirrors a chance to update, but if anyone would like
to download and run through the package, make sure all looks okay, its
available in the dev directory ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Release Candidate 1 ...

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> I'm going to hold off on a formal announcement to -announce until tomorrow
> evening, to give the mirrors a chance to update, but if anyone would like
> to download and run through the package, make sure all looks okay, its
> available in the dev directory ...

Tar packages look okay here.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Release Candidate 1 ...

From
"Gordon A. Runkle"
Date:
In article <Pine.BSF.4.33.0103232102250.41105-100000@mobile.hub.org>, "The
Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> Well, its been a hard, arduous journey for this one, with several delays
> caused by the massive amount of changes that have gone into v7.1 ...
> but, tonight I've finally wrapped up Release Candidate 1 ...

Well, done, too!  I've been banging on Beta6 with data and
queries from DB2, and it's been the easiest transition I've
ever had between RDBMSs.

Will upgrading from Beta6 to RC1 require dumping and restoring
databases?

Thanks again for a great product!

Gordon.
--
It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.  -- Greg LeMond

Re: Release Candidate 1 ...

Date:
"Gordon A. Runkle" <gar@no-spam-integrated-dynamics.com> writes:
> Will upgrading from Beta6 to RC1 require dumping and restoring
> databases?

No, just compile and install.  If you'd been on beta5 or earlier,
you'd need to run contrib/pg_resetxlog to update pg_control format,
but still no initdb.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Release Candidate 1 ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Gordon A. Runkle wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.33.0103232102250.41105-100000@mobile.hub.org>, "The
> Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>

> > Well, its been a hard, arduous journey for this one, with several delays
> > caused by the massive amount of changes that have gone into v7.1 ...
> > but, tonight I've finally wrapped up Release Candidate 1 ...
>
> Well, done, too!  I've been banging on Beta6 with data and
> queries from DB2, and it's been the easiest transition I've
> ever had between RDBMSs.
>
> Will upgrading from Beta6 to RC1 require dumping and restoring
> databases?

My understanding was that originally, there was a dump/reload required,
but I believe that requirement was negated by a 'resetxlog' utility that
Tom Lane created ...

Re: Release Candidate 1 ...

From
"Gordon A. Runkle"
Date:
In article <18508.985549534@sss.pgh.pa.us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:
> No, just compile and install.  If you'd been on beta5 or earlier, you'd
> need to run contrib/pg_resetxlog to update pg_control format, but still
> no initdb.

Thanks, Tom!

Just so you know:  I've built a test database in PostgreSQL which is a
full copy of a large database I have in DB2.  On the same physical
machine, no less.  Many of my large, rather intensive queries are
running 4 times faster than in DB2!  I stand in awe.  You guys have
done a real bang-up job!

Thanks again,

Gordon.

--
It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.  -- Greg LeMond