Unicode in postgresql

From
"Suraj Kumar S."
Date:
Hi all pgsql-hackers,

Iam a new hacker of this list.

I and a few others have started an Linux localization project for Indian
Languages called - Project Tuxila (http://inapp.com/tuxila), and are
currently doing the localization for an Indian language called
"Malayalam". The utilities that will be developed as part of the
project will be under GNU GPL.

We are trying to develop all the required utilities for linux
localization. And as part of that we are trying to implement
"Malayalam" into postgreSQL with the Unicode support available in it.

Could anyone tell me, whether there is any research going in
postgreSQL-Unicode areas, so that i can communicate with them and try to
find solutions to my problems.

Is there any list for postgreSQL-Unicode?

Is there any Unicode sorting engine present in postgreSQL?

I also invite interested hackers to participate in this FreeSoftware
movement.

regards,
Suraj Kumar S.
--
GNU/Linux rulz!

Re: Unicode in postgresql

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Hi all pgsql-hackers,
>
> Iam a new hacker of this list.
>
> I and a few others have started an Linux localization project for Indian
> Languages called - Project Tuxila (http://inapp.com/tuxila), and are
> currently doing the localization for an Indian language called
> "Malayalam". The utilities that will be developed as part of the
> project will be under GNU GPL.
>
> We are trying to develop all the required utilities for linux
> localization. And as part of that we are trying to implement
> "Malayalam" into postgreSQL with the Unicode support available in it.

What kind of encoding is Malayalam? Is it ISO 2022 compatible? Or yet
another local encoding?

> Could anyone tell me, whether there is any research going in
> postgreSQL-Unicode areas, so that i can communicate with them and try to
> find solutions to my problems.

PostgreSQL 7.1 will have a feature that does an automatic encoding
conversion between Unicode(UTF-8) and other encodings including ISO
8859-1 to 5, EUC(Extended Unix Code) in the database engine.

> Is there any list for postgreSQL-Unicode?
>
> Is there any Unicode sorting engine present in postgreSQL?

No.
--
Tatsuo Ishii