BLCKSZ 0?

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"

Any suggestion why postmaster/postgres would think it had been compiled
with BLCKSZ 0? :

root@blue:/usr/local/pgsql# su postgres -c "bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data "
DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Tue Feb 27 22:31:51 2001
FATAL 2:  database was initialized with BLCKSZ 0,
        but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
        looks like you need to initdb.
FATAL 2:  database was initialized with BLCKSZ 0,
        but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
        looks like you need to initdb.
Startup failed - abort

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli

Re: BLCKSZ 0?

Date:
"Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron@the-infinite.org> writes:
> Any suggestion why postmaster/postgres would think it had been compiled
> with BLCKSZ 0? :

> root@blue:/usr/local/pgsql# su postgres -c "bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data "
> DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Tue Feb 27 22:31:51 2001
> FATAL 2:  database was initialized with BLCKSZ 0,
>         but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
>         looks like you need to initdb.

Read that again --- it did *not* say it was compiled with BLCKSZ 0.
It said (or meant, anyway) it found zero in the pg_control field that
indicates the BLCKSZ in use in the database.  Something's broken with
your pg_control file ... care to give more details?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BLCKSZ 0?

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron@the-infinite.org> writes:
>
> > root@blue:/usr/local/pgsql# su postgres -c "bin/postmaster -D
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data "
> > DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Tue Feb 27 22:31:51 2001
> > FATAL 2:  database was initialized with BLCKSZ 0,
> >         but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
> >         looks like you need to initdb.
>
> Read that again --- it did *not* say it was compiled with BLCKSZ 0.
> It said (or meant, anyway) it found zero in the pg_control field that
> indicates the BLCKSZ in use in the database.  Something's broken with
> your pg_control file ... care to give more details?

Admin installed PostgreSQL 7.0(.x?) - clueless coder comes along sometime
later, decides to install 6.5.3, because debian apt-get doesn't have
7.0(.x) yet. Doesn't pg_dumpall, doesn't back up anyting (not even just a
tar of /usr/local/pgsql) Believing he lost all of his DB setup, admin
contacts me to try to get things back up and running. He claims apt-get
installed the binaries in a different place (and assumes .deb package
installs the data directory elsewhere as well.) So I tried to start up the
DB using the (supposedly) old/original binaries, and the old data
directory, which is when I get the above message(s).

--

Date:
"Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron@the-infinite.org> writes:
> DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Tue Feb 27 22:31:51 2001
> FATAL 2:  database was initialized with BLCKSZ 0,
> but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
> looks like you need to initdb.

> So I tried to start up the
> DB using the (supposedly) old/original binaries, and the old data
> directory, which is when I get the above message(s).

Well, those are very clearly 7.0 or later binaries, because 6.5 didn't
have any such crosscheck.  Which is probably why the field's not set,
too ... so your data directory is old but your executables aren't.

            regards, tom lane