Open 7.1 items

Date:
Attached is a list of open source code and documentation items for 7.1.
If people can just confirm completed items, I will remove them right
away.  The current version of this file can be seen at:

    ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/open_items

                              P O S T G R E S Q L

                         7 . 1  O P E N    I T E M S

Source Code Changes
-------------------
LAZY VACUUM (Vadim)
ODBC not disconnecting properly?
Merge MySQL/PgSQL translation scripts
Fix ipcclean on Linux
unixODBC

Documentation Changes
---------------------
Fix PL/perl (Alex Kapranoff)
Add OUTER JOINs (Tom)
Function manager overhaul (Tom)
JDBC improvements (Peter, Travis Bauer, Christopher Cain, William Webber,
    Gunnar)
Grand Unified Configuration scheme/GUC.  Many options can now be set in
    data/postgresql.conf, postmaster/postgres flags, or SET commands (Peter E)
Overhaul initdb process (Tom, Peter E)
Overhaul of inherited tables; inherited tables now accessed by default;
   new ONLY keyword prevents it (Chris Bitmead, Tom)
ODBC cleanups/improvements (Nick Gorham, Stephan Szabo, Zoltan Kovacs,
    Michael Fork)
Overhaul pg_dump (Philip Warner)
New pg_dump tar output option (Philip)
New pg_dump of large objects  (Philip)
New pg_restore command (Philip)
Allow pg_hba.conf secondary password file to specify only username (Peter E)
New SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS (Thomas)
Add WITHOUT TIME ZONE type qualifier (Thomas)
New ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT (Stephan)
New VARIANCE and STDDEV() aggregates
New ESCAPE option to LIKE (Thomas)
New case-insensitive LIKE - ILIKE (Thomas)
Allow SQL functions to be used in more contexts (Tom)
New pg_config utility (Peter E)
New PL/pgSQL EXECUTE command which allows dynamic SQL and utility statements
    (Jan)
New PL/pgSQL GET DIAGNOSTICS statement for SPI value access (Jan)
New quote_identifiers() and quote_literal() functions (Jan)
New ALTER TABLE table OWNER TO user command (Mark Hollomon)
Allow subselects in FROM, i.e. FROM (SELECT ...) [AS] alias (Tom)
Store tables as files named by OID (Vadim)
New SQL function setval(seq,val,bool) for use in pg_dump (Philip)
New pg_service.conf file (Mario Weilguni)
New pg_dumpall --globals-only option (Peter E)
New CHECKPOINT command for WAL which creates new WAL log file (Vadim)
New AT TIME ZONE syntax (Thomas)
Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
    (David J. MacKenzie)
Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
New pg_dump --globals-only option (Peter E)
New /contrib/rserv replication toolkit (Vadim)
New file format for COPY BINARY (Tom)
New /contrib/oid2name to map numeric files to table names (B Palmer)
Allow BIGINT as synonym for INT8 (Peter E)
New BIT and BIT VARYING types (Adriaan Joubert, Tom, Peter E)
Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)
Write-Ahead Log (WAL) to provide crash recovery with less performance
    overhead (Vadim)
Store all large objects in a single table (Denis Perchine, Tom)
New function manager call conventions (Tom)
New configure --enable-syslog option (Peter E)
configure script moved to top level, not /src (Peter E)
New configure --with-python option (Peter E)
New OpenSSL configuration option (Magnus, Peter E)
Remove colon and semi-colon operators (Thomas)
New pg_class.relkind value for views (Mark Hollomon)
Rename ichar() to chr() (Karel)
Moved macmanuf to /contrib (Larry Rosenman)
New template0 database that contains no user additions (Tom)
Allow *BSD's libedit instead of readline (Peter)

Re: [DOCS] Open 7.1 items

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Source Code Changes
> -------------------

> Fix ipcclean on Linux

It's fixed.  Or what is the problem?

> unixODBC

This would be a new feature.  I'm having some private conversation with
the unixODBC maintainer about how to handle this.  We'll work on it for
7.2.

> Documentation Changes
> ---------------------
> Fix PL/perl (Alex Kapranoff)

Not sure how to handle this other than backpatching to 7.0 that it doesn't
work. ;-)  (i.e.: done)

> Add OUTER JOINs (Tom)

Documented

> Function manager overhaul (Tom)

Looks documented enough to me.

> Grand Unified Configuration scheme/GUC.  Many options can now be set in
>     data/postgresql.conf, postmaster/postgres flags, or SET commands (Peter E)
> Overhaul initdb process (Tom, Peter E)
> Overhaul of inherited tables; inherited tables now accessed by default;
>    new ONLY keyword prevents it (Chris Bitmead, Tom)

done, done, done

(although I don't recall me "overhauling" initdb)

> Allow pg_hba.conf secondary password file to specify only username (Peter E)
> New SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS (Thomas)
> Add WITHOUT TIME ZONE type qualifier (Thomas)

done, done, done

> New VARIANCE and STDDEV() aggregates
> New ESCAPE option to LIKE (Thomas)
> New case-insensitive LIKE - ILIKE (Thomas)

done, done, done

> Allow SQL functions to be used in more contexts (Tom)

That probably doesn't need documentation.

> New pg_config utility (Peter E)
> New PL/pgSQL EXECUTE command which allows dynamic SQL and utility statements
>     (Jan)

> New quote_identifiers() and quote_literal() functions (Jan)

done, done, done

> New ALTER TABLE table OWNER TO user command (Mark Hollomon)
> Allow subselects in FROM, i.e. FROM (SELECT ...) [AS] alias (Tom)

done, done

> New pg_service.conf file (Mario Weilguni)

As per previous agreement, this will not be an official feature in 7.1.
Needs further review.

> New pg_dumpall --globals-only option (Peter E)
> New CHECKPOINT command for WAL which creates new WAL log file (Vadim)
> New AT TIME ZONE syntax (Thomas)
> Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
>     (David J. MacKenzie)
> Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
> New pg_dump --globals-only option (Peter E)

Check all those.

> Allow BIGINT as synonym for INT8 (Peter E)
> New BIT and BIT VARYING types (Adriaan Joubert, Tom, Peter E)
> Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
> New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)
> Write-Ahead Log (WAL) to provide crash recovery with less performance
>     overhead (Vadim)

Check

> New function manager call conventions (Tom)

Hmm, I've seen this before...

> New configure --enable-syslog option (Peter E)
> configure script moved to top level, not /src (Peter E)
> New configure --with-python option (Peter E)
> New OpenSSL configuration option (Magnus, Peter E)
> Remove colon and semi-colon operators (Thomas)

All good.

> Rename ichar() to chr() (Karel)

chr() is documented.

> Allow *BSD's libedit instead of readline (Peter)

*BSD should be "NetBSD".  Not documented, yet.

Re: Open 7.1 items

Date:
> Attached is a list of open source code and documentation items for 7.1.

I've got two major TODO items that are not in your list, but should be:

* visibility of joined columns in JOIN clauses (Thomas thinks code is
  wrong, I'm not sure yet)
* separate client- and server-side includes, make optional install target to
  install all of src/include

The question of what to do about spinlock timeouts on buffers seems to be
a critical issue, too.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Open 7.1 items

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Source Code Changes
> > -------------------
>
> > Fix ipcclean on Linux
>
> It's fixed.  Or what is the problem?

The issue was that the ipcs code did not work on Linux.  In fact,
reference to variable $ipcs_pid doesn't even work because it is not
defined.  I believe you stated you would get that working.

> > unixODBC
>
> This would be a new feature.  I'm having some private conversation with
> the unixODBC maintainer about how to handle this.  We'll work on it for
> 7.2.

Item removed.

> > Documentation Changes
> > ---------------------
> > Fix PL/perl (Alex Kapranoff)
>
> Not sure how to handle this other than backpatching to 7.0 that it doesn't
> work. ;-)  (i.e.: done)

That is all I needed to know.  Item removed.

> > Add OUTER JOINs (Tom)
>
> Documented

Removed.

> > Function manager overhaul (Tom)
>
> Looks documented enough to me.

Removed.

> > Grand Unified Configuration scheme/GUC.  Many options can now be set in
> >     data/postgresql.conf, postmaster/postgres flags, or SET commands (Peter E)
> > Overhaul initdb process (Tom, Peter E)
> > Overhaul of inherited tables; inherited tables now accessed by default;
> >    new ONLY keyword prevents it (Chris Bitmead, Tom)
>
> done, done, done
>
> (although I don't recall me "overhauling" initdb)

Removed.  Overhaul as in clean up how it works.

> > Allow pg_hba.conf secondary password file to specify only username (Peter E)
> > New SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS (Thomas)
> > Add WITHOUT TIME ZONE type qualifier (Thomas)
>
> done, done, done
>
> > New VARIANCE and STDDEV() aggregates
> > New ESCAPE option to LIKE (Thomas)
> > New case-insensitive LIKE - ILIKE (Thomas)
>
> done, done, done

All removed.

> > Allow SQL functions to be used in more contexts (Tom)
>
> That probably doesn't need documentation.

Not sure if we mention that only non-SQL functions can be used in
certain contexts, while they can now be used.  What contexts did we add.
I believe it was functional indexes.  Item removed.

> > New pg_config utility (Peter E)
> > New PL/pgSQL EXECUTE command which allows dynamic SQL and utility statements
> >     (Jan)
>
> > New quote_identifiers() and quote_literal() functions (Jan)
>
> done, done, done
>
> > New ALTER TABLE table OWNER TO user command (Mark Hollomon)
> > Allow subselects in FROM, i.e. FROM (SELECT ...) [AS] alias (Tom)
>
> done, done

All removed.

> > New pg_service.conf file (Mario Weilguni)
>
> As per previous agreement, this will not be an official feature in 7.1.
> Needs further review.

Removed from HISTORY & release.sgml.

> > New pg_dumpall --globals-only option (Peter E)
> > New CHECKPOINT command for WAL which creates new WAL log file (Vadim)
> > New AT TIME ZONE syntax (Thomas)
> > Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
> >     (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
> > New pg_dump --globals-only option (Peter E)
>
> Check all those.
>
> > Allow BIGINT as synonym for INT8 (Peter E)
> > New BIT and BIT VARYING types (Adriaan Joubert, Tom, Peter E)
> > Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
> > New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)
> > Write-Ahead Log (WAL) to provide crash recovery with less performance
> >     overhead (Vadim)
>
> Check

All removed.

> > New function manager call conventions (Tom)
>
> Hmm, I've seen this before...

Just asking if we need to addition documentation for the change.

> > New configure --enable-syslog option (Peter E)
> > configure script moved to top level, not /src (Peter E)
> > New configure --with-python option (Peter E)
> > New OpenSSL configuration option (Magnus, Peter E)
> > Remove colon and semi-colon operators (Thomas)
>
> All good.
>
> > Rename ichar() to chr() (Karel)
>
> chr() is documented.

All removed.

> > Allow *BSD's libedit instead of readline (Peter)
>
> *BSD should be "NetBSD".  Not documented, yet.

Updated HISTORY & release.sgml.

Re: Open 7.1 items

From
Denis Perchine
Date:
> Store all large objects in a single table (Denis Perchine, Tom)

Hmmm... If you would point me to the document where changes should be done, I
will do them.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

----------------------------------
E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com
HomePage: http://www.perchine.com/dyp/
FidoNet: 2:5000/120.5
----------------------------------

Re: Open 7.1 items

Date:
I have no idea.  If we mention the existance of separate large object
files, they it has to be updated.  If we don't mention it, then we can
remove the item.

> > Store all large objects in a single table (Denis Perchine, Tom)
>
> Hmmm... If you would point me to the document where changes should be done, I
> will do them.
>
> --
> Sincerely Yours,
> Denis Perchine
>
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com
> HomePage: http://www.perchine.com/dyp/
> FidoNet: 2:5000/120.5
> ----------------------------------

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

From
Philip Warner
Date:
At 12:26 9/02/01 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Overhaul pg_dump (Philip Warner)
>New pg_dump tar output option (Philip)
>New pg_dump of large objects  (Philip)
>New pg_restore command (Philip)

The SGML docs for these have been there for a while - is there something
else I need to do?

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: Open 7.1 items

Date:
> At 12:26 9/02/01 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >Overhaul pg_dump (Philip Warner)
> >New pg_dump tar output option (Philip)
> >New pg_dump of large objects  (Philip)
> >New pg_restore command (Philip)
>
> The SGML docs for these have been there for a while - is there something
> else I need to do?

No, I just needed to know it was done.  Removed.

Re: Re: [DOCS] Open 7.1 items

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

>> Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
>> Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
>> Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
>> (David J. MacKenzie)
>> Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)

The four items listed are all documented to at least some extent (ie,
I find them each in at least one place in the SGML docs).  Whether they
are documented adequately is another question...

>> Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
>> New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)

Those are documented.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Open 7.1 items

Date:
> separate client- and server-side includes, make optional install
>   target to install all of src/include

This is done now, at least as far as the source tree goes (dunno
how Lamar plans to handle it in the RPMs).

> New file format for COPY BINARY (Tom)

Already documented, see COPY reference page.

> New function manager call conventions (Tom)

This is probably adequately documented for now: xfunc.sgml gives an
overview and refers to src/backend/utils/fmgr/README for more details.
At some point it'd be nice to transform that README into SGML doco,
but I doubt I'll get to it before 7.1 goes out.

> New template0 database that contains no user additions (Tom)

The CREATE DATABASE reference page discusses template0.  Do we need to
discuss it anywhere else?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Re: Open 7.1 items

Date:
Items removed.  Thanks.

> > separate client- and server-side includes, make optional install
> >   target to install all of src/include
>
> This is done now, at least as far as the source tree goes (dunno
> how Lamar plans to handle it in the RPMs).
>
> > New file format for COPY BINARY (Tom)
>
> Already documented, see COPY reference page.
>
> > New function manager call conventions (Tom)
>
> This is probably adequately documented for now: xfunc.sgml gives an
> overview and refers to src/backend/utils/fmgr/README for more details.
> At some point it'd be nice to transform that README into SGML doco,
> but I doubt I'll get to it before 7.1 goes out.
>
> > New template0 database that contains no user additions (Tom)
>
> The CREATE DATABASE reference page discusses template0.  Do we need to
> discuss it anywhere else?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Re: [DOCS] Open 7.1 items

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> >> Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
> >> Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
> >> Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
> >> (David J. MacKenzie)
> >> Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
>
> The four items listed are all documented to at least some extent (ie,
> I find them each in at least one place in the SGML docs).  Whether they
> are documented adequately is another question...

I believe these are done.  I did them when I applied the Uunet patches.
If I missed a spot, someone please let me know.

Items removed.