ODBC Problem v7.1 beta4

From
"Steve Shaffer"
Date:
Developers,
 Pgsql v7.1 beta4 ODBC  v6.50.00.00 RedHat v6.2
 I upgraded from 7.03 to 7.1 beta4 yesterday & see the following problem.

After the upgrade, applications like Crystal Reports, MS Query, Brio, etc.
now do not see the catalog of tables and fields in the database, login is
through user postgres.

SQL statements sent directly through the ODBC work correctly.

The pgAdmin utility CAN see the catalog of all of the tables & fields OK
through the same login.

I played with all of the options of the ODBC driver & postgres security &
could not find a solution. Also, searched the site for any similar problems
& found no posts.

Can anyone verify this problem?  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Steve Shaffer (smshaffer@usa.net)

Re: ODBC Problem v7.1 beta4

From
"Eduardo Stern"
Date:
Yes, I have the same problem...

pgaccess also can't see any Views...

"Steve Shaffer" <sxs@coldmetal.com> escreveu nas not�cias de
mensagem:FOEBLBNAFLOHCILCDCGCOENNCAAA.sxs@coldmetal.com...

> Developers,
>
>   Pgsql v7.1 beta4
>   ODBC  v6.50.00.00
>   RedHat v6.2
>
>   I upgraded from 7.03 to 7.1 beta4 yesterday & see the following problem.
>
> After the upgrade, applications like Crystal Reports, MS Query, Brio, etc.
> now do not see the catalog of tables and fields in the database, login is
> through user postgres.
>
> SQL statements sent directly through the ODBC work correctly.
>
> The pgAdmin utility CAN see the catalog of all of the tables & fields OK
> through the same login.
>
> I played with all of the options of the ODBC driver & postgres security &
> could not find a solution. Also, searched the site for any similar
problems
> & found no posts.
>
> Can anyone verify this problem?  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Steve Shaffer (smshaffer@usa.net)

Re: ODBC Problem v7.1 beta4

From
Emmanuel Charpentier
Date:
<AOLdummy> Me too ! :-))

Same problem on Debian-unstable + Oliver Elphick's beta4 packages + UnixODBC
2.0.3

Database still can be accessed through ODBC in you don't need the tables list
: tried from the stats package R through RODBC : sqlTables() fails, sqlQuery()
works. So the problem is probably an interface change in pg itself ...

I wrote to Nick Gorham about the ODBC problem. He asks for "a day or so" to
investigate ...

Oh, BTW : Same problem (no views, some system tables not listed) with PgAccess
0.98.7. This one is probably related to PgAccess itself : it seems unaware of
the "new and improved" internal structure ... Select * from pg_views works

</AOLdummy>

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Re: ODBC Problem v7.1 beta4

Date:
"Steve Shaffer" <sxs@coldmetal.com> writes:
>   Pgsql v7.1 beta4
>   ODBC  v6.50.00.00
>   RedHat v6.2

>   I upgraded from 7.03 to 7.1 beta4 yesterday & see the following problem.

> After the upgrade, applications like Crystal Reports, MS Query, Brio, etc.
> now do not see the catalog of tables and fields in the database, login is
> through user postgres.
> SQL statements sent directly through the ODBC work correctly.

Guys, have you learned any more about this?

A useful investigation technique would be to turn on query logging at
the backend (eg, restart postmaster with -d2) so that you can see just
what queries are issued while these apps are trying to examine the
system catalogs.
        regards, tom lane