7.1beta4 RPMs.

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Unless Marc makes changes to the beta4 tarball, there will be beta4
RPM's for you to play with shortly.  Actually, they are uploading now
:-).

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/test-rpms is the place.....

If changes are made, I'll rebuild as soon as I find out (probably 18
hours or so from now).
-----
RPM changes since beta3:
1.)    /usr/share/postgresql, /etc/postgresql, and /usr/include/postgresql
changed back to pgsql, to match /var/lib/pgsql (which is not at all
likely to change).
2.)    Now rebuilds without having to have the -devel rpm installed. :-0
3.)    More documentation in html under the docdir
(/usr/doc/postgresql-7.1beta4 on redhat 6.2).
4.)    Regression test dirs now have right ownership.

Still to be done:
README.rpm-dist updates.
Full upgrade testing.
-lib split.
-contrib subpackage.
others that I have forgotten at this point in the night.....

Regression may be run by installing at least the main package, the
server subpackage, and the test subpackage.  Then, start the postmaster
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start), which will initdb if needed, su to
postgres, cd to /usr/share/pgsql/test/regress, and execute:
./pg_regress --schedule=parallel_schedule

RPMs passed regression (except for locale errors) on my RedHat 6.2 devel
machine.

I have changed the absolute minimum from beta3-2.  Please let me know
any problems you find!

I am for now leaving the 7.1beta3-2 RPMset up.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: 7.1beta4 RPMs.

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Lamar Owen wrote:
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/test-rpms is the place.....

One note: for whatever reason the date on the uploaded RPM's has the
wrong year -- but the timestamp on my local copy has the correct date.
In any case, ignore the datestamp on those RPM's -- there were _not_
built a year ago on Sat, January 29, 2000.

But, they _are_ up for your RPM'ing pleasure.  Please try to rebuild
from source on whatever machine you have -- te more reports, the better
the RPM.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: 7.1beta4 RPMs.

From
Brent Verner
Date:
On 29 Jan 2001 at 02:50 (-0500), Lamar Owen wrote:
| Lamar Owen wrote:
| > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/test-rpms is the place.....
|
| One note: for whatever reason the date on the uploaded RPM's has the
| wrong year -- but the timestamp on my local copy has the correct date.
| In any case, ignore the datestamp on those RPM's -- there were _not_
| built a year ago on Sat, January 29, 2000.

yeah, right ;)

comment on the rpms: 1) could you modify the init script, specifically the initdb command,    to use the assigned
$PGDATA.I have an environment where the    main database must be installed to a different location than
/var/lib/pgsql(/data)?.the suggested line is below.

      su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/initdb -D $PGDATA" > /dev/null
    also, the original had a little typo: '< /dev/null'

otherwise, my experience with the rpms has been pretty good :) Thanks
for your effort.
 brent

--
"We want to help, but we wouldn't want to deprive you of a valuable
learning experience."                                         http://openbsd.org/mail.html