pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???

From
tolik@aaanet.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Date:
Two questions about pgaccess. I use tkl/Tk 8.2, Postgresql 7.1,
FreeBSD 4.0 .

1. I cannot view russian text in russian when I use pgaccess. I set all
the fonts in 'Preferences' to
-cronyx-helvetica-*-*-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-* , but don't see russian
letters in 'tables' and others windows. The texts are really in
russian, DBENCODING is KOI8.

2. How can I manage with 'SQL window'? I can type text, but no
more. How can I send my queries to server?

Thanks to any help.

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff                 Email:    tolik@aaanet.ru
http://tolikus.hq.aaanet.ru:8080    Phone:      (8632)-710071

Re: pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???

Date:
tolik@aaanet.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff) writes:
> Two questions about pgaccess. I use tkl/Tk 8.2, Postgresql 7.1,
> FreeBSD 4.0 .

> 1. I cannot view russian text in russian when I use pgaccess. I set all
> the fonts in 'Preferences' to
> -cronyx-helvetica-*-*-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-* , but don't see russian
> letters in 'tables' and others windows. The texts are really in
> russian, DBENCODING is KOI8.

Hm.  We've had a couple of reports recently that suggest that there's
a character-set-translation problem between Postgres and recent Tcl/Tk
releases --- which seems to describe your problem as well.  I have an
unproven suspicion that this is related to Tcl's changeover to UTF-8
internal representation, because the reports have all come from people
running Tcl 8.2 or later.  But no one's done the work yet to understand
the problem in detail or propose a fix.  Want to dig into it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???

Date:
"Len Morgan" <len-morgan@crcom.net> writes:
> I have used Postgres and Tcl/Tk for quite some time and yes, when 8.2 came
> out, I had trouble accessing ANYTHING because of the UTF-8 switch.  My
> solution was to upgrade my pgsql.tcl file with a new one.  I tried it once
> and it worked but other events have prevented me from switching all of my
> code yet.  Pgsql.tcl is a tcl source only interface to postgres (as opposed
> to a .dll or .so).  Whether the changes in there have made it into
> libpgtcl.so/dll I don't know.  I would be happy to forward it somewhere if
> you would like to try it out.

Yes, I'd like to see it.  It'd be even more useful if you also have the
old version, so I can see what was changed to fix the problem.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgaccess: russian fonts && SQL window???

From
"Len Morgan"
Date:
>> 1. I cannot view russian text in russian when I use pgaccess. I set all
>> the fonts in 'Preferences' to
>> -cronyx-helvetica-*-*-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-* , but don't see russian
>> letters in 'tables' and others windows. The texts are really in
>> russian, DBENCODING is KOI8.
>
>Hm.  We've had a couple of reports recently that suggest that there's
>a character-set-translation problem between Postgres and recent Tcl/Tk
>releases --- which seems to describe your problem as well.  I have an
>unproven suspicion that this is related to Tcl's changeover to UTF-8
>internal representation, because the reports have all come from people
>running Tcl 8.2 or later.  But no one's done the work yet to understand
>the problem in detail or propose a fix.  Want to dig into it?
>
> regards, tom lane

I have used Postgres and Tcl/Tk for quite some time and yes, when 8.2 came
out, I had trouble accessing ANYTHING because of the UTF-8 switch.  My
solution was to upgrade my pgsql.tcl file with a new one.  I tried it once
and it worked but other events have prevented me from switching all of my
code yet.  Pgsql.tcl is a tcl source only interface to postgres (as opposed
to a .dll or .so).  Whether the changes in there have made it into
libpgtcl.so/dll I don't know.  I would be happy to forward it somewhere if
you would like to try it out.

len morgan