Install Failure [7.1beta2 tarballs]

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
After configuring with
./configure
        --enable-multibyte
        --enable-unicode-conversion
        --enable-odbc
        --prefix=/usr
        --sysconfdir=/etc
        --localstatedir=/var

make

make install

When trying to run initdb I get the following error:

The program '/usr/bin/postgres' needed by initdb does not belong to
PostgreSQL version 7.1beta2.  Check your installation.

I'll see if I can track down what happened a little later on...

--
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student  - Computer Science

Re: Install Failure [7.1beta2 tarballs]

Date:
Thomas Swan <tswan@olemiss.edu> writes:
> When trying to run initdb I get the following error:
> The program '/usr/bin/postgres' needed by initdb does not belong to
> PostgreSQL version 7.1beta2.  Check your installation.

Hm.  Either install failed to overwrite the existing /usr/bin/postgres,
or your compiled copy of the executable still has the beta1 version
string (did you do "make clean" before rebuilding?)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Install Failure [7.1beta2 tarballs]

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Swan writes:

> When trying to run initdb I get the following error:
>
> The program '/usr/bin/postgres' needed by initdb does not belong to
> PostgreSQL version 7.1beta2.  Check your installation.

If you are updating your sources via 'cvs update' you should do 'make
clean' before recompilation, or configure with '--enable-depend' next
time.  Most likely the postgres program still thinks it's beta1.  (Try
--version.)