Contexts

From
"Kevin O'Gorman"
Date:
I'm about to launch into an experiment that will do some new things
inside the PG server.  I'm sure to have a lot of problems, and one
of them I can already tell is going to be difficult is the business
of contexts: memory contexts, scan contexts and the like.

Before I go around shooting myself in the foot, I would like to
educate myself about how they work inside the current code.  Does
anyone know where best to look?  It can be the code, better if it's
a document.  I'm happy to RTFM or RTFC, but I'd like to know where
to start.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:kogorman@pacbell.net
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'Gorman.64@Alum.Dartmouth.org

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"   -- Alfred North Whitehead

Re: Contexts

Date:
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@pacbell.net> writes:
> I'm about to launch into an experiment that will do some new things
> inside the PG server.  I'm sure to have a lot of problems, and one
> of them I can already tell is going to be difficult is the business
> of contexts: memory contexts, scan contexts and the like.

There is some doco about memory contexts in
src/backend/utils/mmgr/README.  Dunno about anything comparable
for scan handles --- best way to deal with table scans is probably
to find a routine that does something like what you need to do,
and crib the code.
        regards, tom lane