pg_dump and quoting

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I think that pg_dump should not quote identifiers that only contain
lower-case letters and underscores.  That will make it easier to move
dumps to other database products, because PostgreSQL is off the spec in
matters case folding in identifiers.  But it's just an idea; if the
performance hit would be too high, forget it.

(If you do this, then be careful about locale issues regarding what a
lower-case letter is.  Better to restrict it to ASCII perhaps.)

Re: pg_dump and quoting

From
Philip Warner
Date:
At 19:55 3/10/00 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>I think that pg_dump should not quote identifiers that only contain
>lower-case letters and underscores.  That will make it easier to move
>dumps to other database products, because PostgreSQL is off the spec in
>matters case folding in identifiers.  But it's just an idea; if the
>performance hit would be too high, forget it.

In something like pg_dump, I don't really think performance when dumping
metadata is an issue when you consider the cost of dumping actual data.

But to deal with the quoting issue, have you tried '-n' - I think it
basically turns off non-essential quoting.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/