AW: Please no // comments in C source (ecpg)

From
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Date:
> > > Please don't use C++ style comments in C source files.
> > > It does not work for all ports.
> >
> > AFAIK, only GCC supports // as comments.
>
> // comments are legal as of Standard C 1999, so expect more
> compilers to
> accept them silently.  (That still doesn't mean we get to use them, of
> course.)

Well, xlc (aix compiler) does have a flag to allow // comments,
so if we think that all other compilers support them we can use the flag
in the AIX port, and forget about the issue.

But I guess we better not, and that was why we don't use the flag.
That makes me the dummy that complains from time to time,
since nobody else who compiles snapshots seems to notice :-)

Such is life :-)
Andreas

Re: AW: Please no // comments in C source (ecpg)

Date:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
> That makes me the dummy that complains from time to time,
> since nobody else who compiles snapshots seems to notice :-)

I think most of the regular developers use gcc.  It's good to have
people testing with other compilers --- keep it up!

Even though C99 does allow // comments, I agree that we have to keep
them out of portable code for the foreseeable future.
        regards, tom lane