TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
I've tried doing as much reading on the mailing lists as I can on this.

The problem lies in that I'm trying to use PostgreSQL to store HTML
documents which are larger than the default tuple size of 8120 bytes.   I
originally thought that the data type TEXT wasn't limited in size.   Also,
through some of the postings, I came to the understanding there was a
limit, but that it was supposed to be removed.

I've gone through the source some and found where MaxTupleSize is defined,
but I'm not sure what would be acceptable values to set it to.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
-
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student  - Computer Science
- The University of Mississippi
-
- "People can be categorized into two fundamental
- groups, those that divide people into two groups
- and those that don't."

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
"B. Palmer"
Date:
>I've gone through the source some and found where MaxTupleSize is defined,
>but I'm not sure what would be acceptable values to set it to.

Though 8k is the default tuple size,  you can change that number to be
up to 32k AT COMPILE TIME.  You can't,  however,  go above that size.
The code base doesn't support a larger size.  At this time,  you can
either use Large Objects or wait a bit for the TOAST project to be
finish (is there a max for that?  2G?)

- Brandon
sixdegrees.com
w:  212.375.2688
c:  917.734.1981

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
32kAT COMPILE TIME.  You can't,  however,  go above that size. <br /> The code base doesn't support a larger size.  At
thistime,  you can<br /> either use Large Objects or wait a bit for the TOAST project to be<br /> finish (is there a
/>- <br /> - "People can be categorized into two fundamental <br /> - groups, those that divide people into two groups

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

Date:
Thomas Swan <tswan@olemiss.edu> writes:
> I've gone through the source some and found where MaxTupleSize is defined,
> but I'm not sure what would be acceptable values to set it to.

That would be the wrong thing to change in any case.  BLCKSZ in
include/config.h is the value you can twiddle.
        regards, tom lane

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
>That would be the wrong thing to change in any case.  BLCKSZ in
>include/config.h is the value you can twiddle.

Are there any plans to remove this limitation from the TEXT datatype?  If
so, do you know what version we might see this in?

-

JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Thomas Swan wrote:

> >That would be the wrong thing to change in any case.  BLCKSZ in
> >include/config.h is the value you can twiddle.
>
> Are there any plans to remove this limitation from the TEXT datatype?  If
> so, do you know what version we might see this in?
   It  is  already  in  the current development tree and will be   shipped with the next release, scheduled for end of
theyear.

Jan

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Thomas Swan wrote:
> >
> > >That would be the wrong thing to change in any case.  BLCKSZ in
> > >include/config.h is the value you can twiddle.
> >
> > Are there any plans to remove this limitation from the TEXT datatype?  If
> > so, do you know what version we might see this in?
>
>     It  is  already  in  the current development tree and will be
>     shipped with the next release, scheduled for end of the year.

Just a quick note ... with v7.x, you *can* use the lztext type to get by
the limitation ... its a temporary fix, but I believe that Vince is using
it for the web site for similar reasons to the original poster ...

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Are there any plans to remove this limitation from the TEXT datatype?  If
> > > so, do you know what version we might see this in?
> >
> >     It  is  already  in  the current development tree and will be
> >     shipped with the next release, scheduled for end of the year.
>
> Just a quick note ... with v7.x, you *can* use the lztext type to get by
> the limitation ... its a temporary fix, but I believe that Vince is using
> it for the web site for similar reasons to the original poster ...

You are correct.   The guide now fits into one tuple.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Are there any plans to remove this limitation from the TEXT datatype?  If
> > > so, do you know what version we might see this in?
> >
> >     It  is  already  in  the current development tree and will be
> >     shipped with the next release, scheduled for end of the year.
>
> Just a quick note ... with v7.x, you *can* use the lztext type to get by
> the limitation ... its a temporary fix, but I believe that Vince is using
> it for the web site for similar reasons to the original poster ...

IIRC lztext does only compression and not splitting, so it just gets you
so far ...

-------
Hannu

Re: TUPLE SIZE HELP

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > >     It  is  already  in  the current development tree and will be
> > >     shipped with the next release, scheduled for end of the year.
> >
> > Just a quick note ... with v7.x, you *can* use the lztext type to get by
> > the limitation ... its a temporary fix, but I believe that Vince is using
> > it for the web site for similar reasons to the original poster ...
>
> IIRC lztext does only compression and not splitting, so it just gets you
> so far ...

Correct ...