Interesting mention of PostgreSQL in news

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-06/lw-06-S390-3.html

This article, while on the subject of Linux for IBM System/390
mainframes, also notes that PostgreSQL was easily brought up on that
box....

Now _that's_ a database engine.

They noted that changes were required to config.sub and config.guess --
I have e-mailed the author of the article to get those, assuming we
don't already have them, as well as timings on the compile and the
regression tests.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Interesting mention of PostgreSQL in news

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:

> http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-06/lw-06-S390-3.html
>
> This article, while on the subject of Linux for IBM System/390
> mainframes, also notes that PostgreSQL was easily brought up on that
> box....
>
> Now _that's_ a database engine.
>
> They noted that changes were required to config.sub and config.guess --

I thought they needed some spinlock asm as well? I think that's what
missing from getting it to run on ia64.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Date:
Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > They noted that changes were required to config.sub and config.guess --
> I thought they needed some spinlock asm as well? I think that's what
> missing from getting it to run on ia64.

The exact changes are at http://penguinvm.princeton.edu/patches , and a
source RPM for 6.5.3 is also available at
http://linux.s390.org/download/ftp/SRPMS as postgresql-6.5.3-4.src.rpm.
The patches include some other stuff, too.

The patch you are referring to is a one-liner asm for the spinlock.

Again, these patches are against 6.5.3, thus far.

--

Date:
> http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-06/lw-06-S390-3.html
>
> This article, while on the subject of Linux for IBM System/390
> mainframes, also notes that PostgreSQL was easily brought up on that
> box....
>
> Now _that's_ a database engine.
>
> They noted that changes were required to config.sub and config.guess --
> I have e-mailed the author of the article to get those, assuming we
> don't already have them, as well as timings on the compile and the
> regression tests.

The interesting part of this for me was:
 Very soon, important applications such as Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL, linuxconf, Sendmail, bind, Emacs, SSL, and SSH
wereup and running. There are now over 400 packages, both source and binaries, ready for use on Linux for S/390.

Guess we are an important application now.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The interesting part of this for me was:
>   Very soon, important applications such as Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL,
>   linuxconf, Sendmail, bind, Emacs, SSL, and SSH were up and running.
>   There are now over 400 packages, both source and binaries, ready for use
>   on Linux for S/390.
> Guess we are an important application now.  :-)

On a mainframe, no less.  A Linux-powered mainframe.... :-)

Yes, that line is why I posted the heads-up to begin with -- I thought
that it was interesting that PostgreSQL is mentioned in the same breath
as Apache as an important application.  Is it just me, or is that
_classy_?

--

Date:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
>> Very soon, important applications such as Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL,
>> linuxconf, Sendmail, bind, Emacs, SSL, and SSH were up and running.
>> There are now over 400 packages, both source and binaries, ready for use
>> on Linux for S/390.

> Yes, that line is why I posted the heads-up to begin with -- I thought
> that it was interesting that PostgreSQL is mentioned in the same breath
> as Apache as an important application.  Is it just me, or is that
> _classy_?

And *in front of* such unheard-of, seldom-used apps as sendmail and
bind.  Wow.

The day Postgres is considered as much a standard piece of equipment as
sendmail, I'll say we've arrived ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The interesting part of this for me was:
>   Very soon, important applications such as Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL,
>   linuxconf, Sendmail, bind, Emacs, SSL, and SSH were up and running.
>   There are now over 400 packages, both source and binaries, ready for use
>   on Linux for S/390.
> Guess we are an important application now.  :-)

You just now figuring that out, Bruce? :-)  No, that was the part I thought
most interesting -- PostgreSQL being considered not just an important
application, but an important application running on a linux-powered mainframe
-- or am I the only one who gets the non-sequitur here?  On a machine that runs
VM/ESA and more than likely DB2, CICS, etc, PostgreSQL is an important
application.  On a mainframe.  An IBM mainframe.

We are mentioned in the same sentence and with the same implications as Apache,
Sendmail, Bind, and Samba -- now that's classy.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio