AW: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT

From
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Date:
> It seems the truncate command deletes all rows from a table even it is
> referenced by another tables. TRUNCATE is not in the standard any way,
> so I would not claim this is a bug. However, sometimes it would be
> helpful for a user to let him notice that the table about to be
> truncated is referenced by some tables. So I would propose to add
> "RESTRICT" option to the command. I mean if RESTRICT is specified,
> TRUNCATE will fail if the table is referenced.
>
> BTW, the keyword "RESTRICT" is inspired by the fact that DROP TABLE
> has the same option according to the standard. If a table is
> referenced by some tables and the drop table command has the RESTRICT
> option, it would fail. This seems to be a nice feature too.

Truncate should probably check if all referencing tables are empty
and fail if not. Truncate should imho not lead to a violated constraint
situation.
Strictly speaking the current situation is more or less a bug.

Andreas

Re: AW: Proposal: TRUNCATE TABLE table RESTRICT

From
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> Truncate should probably check if all referencing tables are empty
> and fail if not. Truncate should imho not lead to a violated constraint
> situation.
> Strictly speaking the current situation is more or less a bug.

   Not  anything is possible with RI, so the DB schema might use   regular triggers and/or rules as well.
   Why  not  reject  TRUNCATE  at  all  if  the   relation   has   rules/triggers?  IMHO the only safe way.

Jan