Back online

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
I'm finally up and running (sort of) after upgrading my formerly
revlocked Linux system at home.

Tatsuo, I've got one last problem I was hoping someone could help me
with:

I've got a Fujitsu MO640 SCSI disk drive. At the moment, the system is
very unhappy with it; when I write to it the system ends up trying to
write to sectors way off the end of the drive, which throws SCSI errors.

In looking at Altavista, most of the matches on a reference to this
drive are in Japanese :( Any hints from the web would be appreciated.
I'm running Linux 2.2.14 from the Mandrake 7.0.2 distribution. My old
RedHat 5.2 system required kernel patches (which I had gotten from a
site in Japan), but ran with the drive without problems. btw, the
fundamental problem is with the 2048byte sector size on the disk.

Thanks.
                                              - Tom

Re: Back online

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> I'm finally up and running (sort of) after upgrading my formerly
> revlocked Linux system at home.
>
> Tatsuo, I've got one last problem I was hoping someone could help me
> with:
>
> I've got a Fujitsu MO640 SCSI disk drive. At the moment, the system is
> very unhappy with it; when I write to it the system ends up trying to
> write to sectors way off the end of the drive, which throws SCSI errors.
>
> In looking at Altavista, most of the matches on a reference to this
> drive are in Japanese :( Any hints from the web would be appreciated.
> I'm running Linux 2.2.14 from the Mandrake 7.0.2 distribution. My old
> RedHat 5.2 system required kernel patches (which I had gotten from a
> site in Japan), but ran with the drive without problems. btw, the
> fundamental problem is with the 2048byte sector size on the disk.

I have found Fujitsu's hard disk drives page written in English.

http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html

I could not find exactly the same drive you are using on that page,
however.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Back online

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > I've got a Fujitsu MO640 SCSI disk drive. At the moment, the system is
> > very unhappy with it; when I write to it the system ends up trying to
> > write to sectors way off the end of the drive, which throws SCSI errors.
> > In looking at Altavista, most of the matches on a reference to this
> > drive are in Japanese :( Any hints from the web would be appreciated.
> > I'm running Linux 2.2.14 from the Mandrake 7.0.2 distribution. My old
> > RedHat 5.2 system required kernel patches (which I had gotten from a
> > site in Japan), but ran with the drive without problems. btw, the
> > fundamental problem is with the 2048byte sector size on the disk.
> I have found Fujitsu's hard disk drives page written in English.
> http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html
> I could not find exactly the same drive you are using on that page,
> however.

Ah, that is because the MO640 is a magneto-optical drive, which is
usually listed in a different area of the company.

When I did an Altavista search on "MO640" many of the references were in
Japanese (and a few in German), and I was hoping that there would be
some mention of how to use the drive with Linux 2.2.x kernels. If you
have a chance to look, that would be great.

TIA
                      - Thomas

Re: Back online

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> > I have found Fujitsu's hard disk drives page written in English.
> > http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html
> > I could not find exactly the same drive you are using on that page,
> > however.
>
> Ah, that is because the MO640 is a magneto-optical drive, which is
> usually listed in a different area of the company.

Oh I didn't know that. I am going to look for Fujitsu's English MO
disk pages...

> When I did an Altavista search on "MO640" many of the references were in
> Japanese (and a few in German), and I was hoping that there would be
> some mention of how to use the drive with Linux 2.2.x kernels. If you
> have a chance to look, that would be great.

I am not Linux kernel guru at all but I can read Japanese pages:-)
Will look at.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Back online

From
"Matthias Urlichs"
Date:
Hi,

Thomas Lockhart:
> When I did an Altavista search on "MO640" many of the references were in
> Japanese (and a few in German), and I was hoping that there would be
> some mention of how to use the drive with Linux 2.2.x kernels. If you
> have a chance to look, that would be great.

It's a SCSI drive. You connect it, insert a fresh disk, run fdisk and
mke2fs on it, mount the partitions, and work with it.

It's no different from every other removable disk. There's nothing
special that needs to be done for this device -- that's why you don't
find anything.  ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/

Re: Back online

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> > > I have found Fujitsu's hard disk drives page written in English.
> > > http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html
> > > I could not find exactly the same drive you are using on that page,
> > > however.
> >
> > Ah, that is because the MO640 is a magneto-optical drive, which is
> > usually listed in a different area of the company.
>
> Oh I didn't know that. I am going to look for Fujitsu's English MO
> disk pages...

Found.

http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/aboutmo/en/index.html

--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Back online

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> It's no different from every other removable disk. There's nothing
> special that needs to be done for this device -- that's why you don't
> find anything.  ;-)

Hmm. That is what I'm hearing, so I'm not sure why my Adaptec/MO640 is
blowing chunks when I try reading or writing.

Will keep poking at it :(
                      - Thomas

Re: Back online

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/aboutmo/en/index.html

Thanks Tatsuo. I'm not seeing why I have a problem with the drive, but
will keep looking.
                   - Thomas

Re: Back online

From
"Matthew N. Dodd"
Date:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> Hmm. That is what I'm hearing, so I'm not sure why my Adaptec/MO640 is
> blowing chunks when I try reading or writing.
>
> Will keep poking at it :(

MO drives have a really bad habbit of collecting dust/lint on the
optics.  This is why its important to store drives without disks in them.

To clean the optics you'll have to open the drive up and somehow gain
access to them.  On the larger 5.25" mechanisms this can be fairly easy
(In the case of the Sony SMO-X501 drives), to fairly annoying (Any HP
mechanism.)  I've got a 3.5" Olympus mechanism that I need to clean and I
suspect it may be on the difficult side.  The 3.5" Fujitsu mechanism looks
a little easier to get access to.

Use a q-tip and alcohol.

If you can actually find cleaning media then use that.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |