Perl 5.6.0

From
Olivier PRENANT
Date:
Hi all,

I've tried to compile interfaces/perl5 with perl-5.6.0.

It fails because the perl symbols sv-undef and na have been renamed to
PL_sv_undef and PL_na;

The obvious trick was to patch Pg.xs.

Surely, Makefile.PL can take care of that and name those two symbols
according to the perl version.

Now, not being a perl expert, I just warn you that you may go into a
problem (and FAQ's) sooner or later..

Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: Perl 5.6.0

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Olivier PRENANT <ohp@pyrenet.fr> writes:

> It fails because the perl symbols sv-undef and na have been renamed to
> PL_sv_undef and PL_na;

FWIW, the postgresql in Red Hat Rawhide is built with perl 5.6.0
and didn't need any patches to make it build.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Perl 5.6.0

Date:
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød) writes:
> Olivier PRENANT <ohp@pyrenet.fr> writes:
>> It fails because the perl symbols sv-undef and na have been renamed to
>> PL_sv_undef and PL_na;

> FWIW, the postgresql in Red Hat Rawhide is built with perl 5.6.0
> and didn't need any patches to make it build.

The stopgap solution is to sayperl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
(in the interfaces/perl5 directory) and then build as usual.  This
should happen automatically if you are using Postgres 7.0, but you
could do it manually if you have an older release.

There is a cleaner long-term solution but it involves more work...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Perl 5.6.0

From
Olivier PRENANT
Date:
Thanks to all who replied to my mail.

Now that I switched to 7.0, you were right it works...

Again, thank you al

Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: Perl 5.6.0

From
"Matthias Urlichs"
Date:
Hi,

Trond Eivind Glomsrød:
> Olivier PRENANT <ohp@pyrenet.fr> writes:
>
> > It fails because the perl symbols sv-undef and na have been renamed to
> > PL_sv_undef and PL_na;
>
> FWIW, the postgresql in Red Hat Rawhide is built with perl 5.6.0
> and didn't need any patches to make it build.

... which is because the POLLUTE=1 flag is given to Makefile.PL script,
in src/pl/Makefile.

This is usually what you do when you encounter this kind of error.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/