Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
376175

Seems someone has been busy.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
> I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
> got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
>     376175
> Seems someone has been busy.  :-)

Forgive a newbie --- what was the count for the original Berkeley code?
Do you have the same numbers for other milestones?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
> > I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
> > got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
> >     376175
> > Seems someone has been busy.  :-)
>
> Forgive a newbie --- what was the count for the original Berkeley code?
> Do you have the same numbers for other milestones?

250,000

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:45:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
> > got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
> >     376175
> > Seems someone has been busy.  :-)
>
> Forgive a newbie --- what was the count for the original Berkeley code?
> Do you have the same numbers for other milestones?

Not that I'm a big believer in kloc as a measure of productivity (oh,
Bruce just said busy, didn't he? That's a different story...), I happen
to have a couple historical trees laying around, starting with the last
one I found at Berkeley:
 postgres-v4r2           244581 postgres95-1.09         178976 postgresql-6.1.1        200709 postgresql-6.3.2
260809postgresql-6.4.0        297479 postgresql-6.4.2        297918 postgresql-6.5.3        331278

Well, more than a couple trees, I guess (actually I unpacked tarballs
for most of these)

HTH,
Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
I found these numbers quite interesting.

> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:45:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
> > > got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
> > >     376175
> > > Seems someone has been busy.  :-)
> >
> > Forgive a newbie --- what was the count for the original Berkeley code?
> > Do you have the same numbers for other milestones?
>
> Not that I'm a big believer in kloc as a measure of productivity (oh,
> Bruce just said busy, didn't he? That's a different story...), I happen
> to have a couple historical trees laying around, starting with the last
> one I found at Berkeley:
>
>   postgres-v4r2           244581
>   postgres95-1.09         178976
>   postgresql-6.1.1        200709
>   postgresql-6.3.2        260809
>   postgresql-6.4.0        297479
>   postgresql-6.4.2        297918
>   postgresql-6.5.3        331278
>
> Well, more than a couple trees, I guess (actually I unpacked tarballs
> for most of these)
>
> HTH,
> Ross
> --
> Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm@rice.edu>
> NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer
> Computer and Information Technology Institute
> Rice University, 6100 S. Main St.,  Houston, TX 77005

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
Never mind.  I see I ran it already on 7.0 and got 376k.  You used my
idential script to get these numbers.  I will use your nice numbers for
a presentation at the show in two weeks.  Thanks a lot.

> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:45:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I did a distclean on 7.0, and ran 'wc' on all the *.[chly] files, and
> > > got a much larger number than what we got from Berkeley.
> > >     376175
> > > Seems someone has been busy.  :-)
> >
> > Forgive a newbie --- what was the count for the original Berkeley code?
> > Do you have the same numbers for other milestones?
>
> Not that I'm a big believer in kloc as a measure of productivity (oh,
> Bruce just said busy, didn't he? That's a different story...), I happen
> to have a couple historical trees laying around, starting with the last
> one I found at Berkeley:
>
>   postgres-v4r2           244581
>   postgres95-1.09         178976
>   postgresql-6.1.1        200709
>   postgresql-6.3.2        260809
>   postgresql-6.4.0        297479
>   postgresql-6.4.2        297918
>   postgresql-6.5.3        331278
>
> Well, more than a couple trees, I guess (actually I unpacked tarballs
> for most of these)
>
> HTH,
> Ross
> --
> Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm@rice.edu>
> NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer
> Computer and Information Technology Institute
> Rice University, 6100 S. Main St.,  Houston, TX 77005

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
FYI, it is 376k lines of C code, not bytes.

> What is amazing, is that you can make such complete system on Linux with
> only 376k of code...
>
> I think bloated software is not part of your dictionnary, and that's good...
>
> Franck Martin
> Database Development Officer
> SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
> Fiji
> E-mail: franck@sopac.org <mailto:franck@sopac.org>
> Web site: http://www.sopac.org/ <http://www.sopac.org/>
>
> This e-mail is intended for its recipients only. Do not forward this
> e-mail without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be
> neccessarily the views of SOPAC.

Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> FYI, it is 376k lines of C code, not bytes.

How did you calculate that?  I get this using c_count over all .c and .h
files:
20903  lines had comments        25.4 % 6603  comments are inline       -8.0 %11911  lines were blank          14.5 %
7287 lines for preprocessor     8.9 %48716  lines containing code     59.3 %82214  total lines              100.0 %

Surely we don't have 294000 lines of Java, C++, Shell, and Perl???

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > FYI, it is 376k lines of C code, not bytes.
>
> How did you calculate that?  I get this using c_count over all .c and .h
> files:
>
>  20903  lines had comments        25.4 %
>   6603  comments are inline       -8.0 %
>  11911  lines were blank          14.5 %
>   7287  lines for preprocessor     8.9 %
>  48716  lines containing code     59.3 %
>  82214  total lines              100.0 %
>
> Surely we don't have 294000 lines of Java, C++, Shell, and Perl???

I just counted lines, not line content.  Not sure which is more
meaningful.  Our comments are as important as the code, sometimes,
though they do not add functionality to the application.  I am not
inclined to inflate numbers, but I am not sure the 59% number is
accurate either.

Opinions?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > FYI, it is 376k lines of C code, not bytes.
>
> How did you calculate that?  I get this using c_count over all .c and .h
> files:
>
>  20903  lines had comments        25.4 %
>   6603  comments are inline       -8.0 %
>  11911  lines were blank          14.5 %
>   7287  lines for preprocessor     8.9 %
>  48716  lines containing code     59.3 %
>  82214  total lines              100.0 %
>
> Surely we don't have 294000 lines of Java, C++, Shell, and Perl???

doing the following in version 6.5.3 in src/backend

[hannu@hu backend]$ cat */*.[ch] */*/*.[ch] */*/*/*.[ch]| wc

gives
208284  658632 5249304

So you (or c_count ;) must be missing some files

in src/ ther result was
[hannu@hu src]$ cat */*.[ch] */*/*.[ch] */*/*/*.[ch] */*/*/*/*.[ch]| wc311469 1069935 8440682

-------------
Hannu

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

Date:
I compute the code count with:
find . -name \*.[chyl] | xargs cat| wc -l

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > FYI, it is 376k lines of C code, not bytes.
> >
> > How did you calculate that?  I get this using c_count over all .c and .h
> > files:
> >
> >  20903  lines had comments        25.4 %
> >   6603  comments are inline       -8.0 %
> >  11911  lines were blank          14.5 %
> >   7287  lines for preprocessor     8.9 %
> >  48716  lines containing code     59.3 %
> >  82214  total lines              100.0 %
> >
> > Surely we don't have 294000 lines of Java, C++, Shell, and Perl???
>
> doing the following in version 6.5.3 in src/backend
>
> [hannu@hu backend]$ cat */*.[ch] */*/*.[ch] */*/*/*.[ch]| wc
>
> gives
>
>  208284  658632 5249304
>
> So you (or c_count ;) must be missing some files
>
> in src/ ther result was
> [hannu@hu src]$ cat */*.[ch] */*/*.[ch] */*/*/*.[ch] */*/*/*/*.[ch]| wc
>  311469 1069935 8440682
Just now downloaded from ftp.postgresql.org:

$ tar -zxvf postgresql-6.5.3.tar.gz
$ cd postgresql-6.5.3    $ wc `find -name "*.[ch]"`      318131 1089740 8585092 total    $ wc `find -name "*"`
7568103037982 25583644 total

$ cd src    $ wc `find -name "*.[ch]"`      311469 1069935 8440682 total    $ wc `find -name "*"`              519318
202426216656475 total

$ tar -zxvf postgresql-7.0.2.tar.gz
$ cd postgresql-7.0.2    $ wc `find -name "*.[ch]"`      368502 1263333 9910813 total    $ wc `find -name "*"`
7568103037982 25583644 total

$ cd src    $ wc `find -name "*.[ch]"`      361297 1240788 9751161 total    $ wc `find -name "*"`              596772
236055518574015 total

                Karel

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 01:30:25PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I compute the code count with:
>
>     find . -name \*.[chyl] | xargs cat| wc -l

Right, that solves the problem others might be seeing, with the command
line getting expanded and silently chopped off. For example, no one
seems to have commented on the -8% of inline comments reported by
Peter's c_count! Funny math, indeed.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Ross J. Reedstrom writes:

> For example, no one seems to have commented on the -8% of inline
> comments reported by Peter's c_count! Funny math, indeed.

If you had actually done the math ;-) you would have noticed that the
percentage of the inline comments is negative because those lines have
both comments and code, therefore the total has to exclude these lines
once when adding comments and code.

Re: Now 376175 lines of code

From
Gunnar R|nning
Date:

> I just counted lines, not line content.  Not sure which is more
> meaningful.  Our comments are as important as the code, sometimes,
> though they do not add functionality to the application.  I am not
> inclined to inflate numbers, but I am not sure the 59% number is
> accurate either.

Counting the number of lines is only meaningful as a relative measurement
of complexity and spent effort - IMHO. And I think lines of code
measurements usually ignore blank lines and lines with
comments. However, Preprocessor directives is code - and sometimes it would
be fair to add some extra lines for the increased complexity caused by cool
CPP macros ;-)

Regards, GunnarGunnar