Ready to release?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
I've made improvements to the hardcopy User's Guide (and A4 version)
to include mention of the postgres "-P" option and to fix up some
formatting. Will download them this morning within a couple of hours
(gotta do it from work since my home networking won't be here until I
upgrade my s/w after 7.0 is released).

afaik we will be ready to release at that time. Any other
show-stoppers?
                      - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Ready to release?

Date:
> I've made improvements to the hardcopy User's Guide (and A4 version)
> to include mention of the postgres "-P" option and to fix up some
> formatting. Will download them this morning within a couple of hours
> (gotta do it from work since my home networking won't be here until I
> upgrade my s/w after 7.0 is released).
>
> afaik we will be ready to release at that time. Any other
> show-stoppers?

Do you want PDF?  I can do it, or should we send out postscript?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Ready to release?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Do you want PDF?  I can do it, or should we send out postscript?

Sure we should send out postscript. I *know* what the Postscript looks
like; I haven't worked with the PDF to know that it is 100% good.
Also, PDF requires a reader which afaik is not available on all of our
supported platforms; Postscript is supported natively by some
printers.

Shall we revisit this for 7.1, well before release time?
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Ready to release?

Date:
> Shall we revisit this for 7.1, well before release time?

Yes.  This is no time to be thinking about changing stuff.
PS docs are what we know we can make without problems.

I think PDF would be a good second alternative, though.
Perhaps after release, we could make up a second batch
of hardcopy docs in PDF form and make those available as
a separate download.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Ready to release?

Date:
> > Do you want PDF?  I can do it, or should we send out postscript?
>
> Sure we should send out postscript. I *know* what the Postscript looks
> like; I haven't worked with the PDF to know that it is 100% good.
> Also, PDF requires a reader which afaik is not available on all of our
> supported platforms; Postscript is supported natively by some
> printers.
>
> Shall we revisit this for 7.1, well before release time?

No, if you are happy with Postscript, let's stay with it.  I only
recommended PDF because we can embed the fonts right in the file, but
maybe that isn't important.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Re: Ready to release?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 8 May 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Do you want PDF?  I can do it, or should we send out postscript?
>
> Sure we should send out postscript. I *know* what the Postscript looks
> like; I haven't worked with the PDF to know that it is 100% good.
> Also, PDF requires a reader which afaik is not available on all of our
> supported platforms; Postscript is supported natively by some
> printers.
>
> Shall we revisit this for 7.1, well before release time?

Why not create a PDF and just make it available on the web/ftp site?
I find it handy from time to time to do text searches.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Ready to release?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 8 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Do you want PDF?  I can do it, or should we send out postscript?
> >
> > Sure we should send out postscript. I *know* what the Postscript looks
> > like; I haven't worked with the PDF to know that it is 100% good.
> > Also, PDF requires a reader which afaik is not available on all of our
> > supported platforms; Postscript is supported natively by some
> > printers.
> >
> > Shall we revisit this for 7.1, well before release time?
>
> No, if you are happy with Postscript, let's stay with it.  I only
> recommended PDF because we can embed the fonts right in the file, but
> maybe that isn't important.

Just a thought, but putting PDF versions online might be much much more
friendly to those downloading ... the only one that *truly* needs to be in
the distribution is the html stuff, the rest should be made available
through the WWW, for those that want ... not everyone has a postscript
printer, so downloading postscript files tend to sound like more work then
should be required ... *shrug*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Re: Ready to release?

Date:
> Just a thought, but putting PDF versions online might be much much more
> friendly to those downloading ... the only one that *truly* needs to be in
> the distribution is the html stuff, the rest should be made available
> through the WWW, for those that want ... not everyone has a postscript
> printer, so downloading postscript files tend to sound like more work then
> should be required ... *shrug*

Yes, IMHO, PDF seems to be the standard download format for documents.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Re: Ready to release?

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:

Xpdf should be supported almost everywhere: http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Re: Ready to release?

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Just a thought, but putting PDF versions online might be much much more
> friendly to those downloading ... the only one that *truly* needs to be in
> the distribution is the html stuff, the rest should be made available
> through the WWW, for those that want ... not everyone has a postscript
> printer, so downloading postscript files tend to sound like more work then
> should be required ... *shrug*

Perhaps not everyone would want the html version, either.  Maybe we
ought to think about dividing the download into "sources" and then
several alternative forms of "docs":
postgres-7.1-src.tar.gzpostgres-7.1-docs-html.tar.gzpostgres-7.1-docs-ps.tar.gzpostgres-7.1-docs-pdf.tar.gz

That way everyone can pick the format(s) they want, and not waste time
downloading what they don't want.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Re: Ready to release?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 8 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Just a thought, but putting PDF versions online might be much much more
> > friendly to those downloading ... the only one that *truly* needs to be in
> > the distribution is the html stuff, the rest should be made available
> > through the WWW, for those that want ... not everyone has a postscript
> > printer, so downloading postscript files tend to sound like more work then
> > should be required ... *shrug*
>
> Perhaps not everyone would want the html version, either.  Maybe we
> ought to think about dividing the download into "sources" and then
> several alternative forms of "docs":
>
>     postgres-7.1-src.tar.gz
>     postgres-7.1-docs-html.tar.gz
>     postgres-7.1-docs-ps.tar.gz
>     postgres-7.1-docs-pdf.tar.gz
>
> That way everyone can pick the format(s) they want, and not waste time
> downloading what they don't want.

Thath sounds good also ... :)

Re: Re: Ready to release?

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> No, if you are happy with Postscript, let's stay with it.  I only
> recommended PDF because we can embed the fonts right in the file, but
> maybe that isn't important.

You can embed font right in the file in PS as well, if you think this is
needed.

I don't see any need for this currently, as the docs have no need for
additional fonts.

--------
Hannu

Re: Re: Ready to release?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Perhaps not everyone would want the html version, either.

But then you don't have *anything*. I feel there should be some formatted
documentation included by default. The HTML build is pretty solid, so it's
not like it's delaying anything. OTOH, {A4, Letter} x {PS, PDF} would mean
4 redundant sets of print style docs, so not necessarily distributing all
seems reasonable. (I want DVI anyway but our docs are too big for jadetex.
:{ )