off topic

From
Robert Davis
Date:
I know this is off topic but...

How do the programmers here get paid?

1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.
2. Your day job encourages you to spend some of your time developing the db that your company uses.
3. There is an organization that accepts money and distributes it to the hackers.
4. You are all independently wealthy and do this for the fun of it.
5. You are still living at home with mom and expect one day to get a real job from this.

Seriously
My friend and I were talking about the open software movement and how great it is and he keeps on asking how people
likeus get paid.

Basically my friend and me are the type that like to stay home and not visit customers and just solve problems and
writecode. Probably a lot like all of you.

thanks
bob

--
rdavis@lillysoftware.com
rsdavis@mediaone.net

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> How do the programmers here get paid?
> 1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.

Bingo!

> 2. Your day job encourages you to spend some of your time
> developing the db that your company uses.

I know a few developers are in this category.

> 4. You are all independently wealthy and do this for the fun of it.

I could see this as something to do in retirement; a bunch of cranky
70 year olds debating the next development for Postgres isn't a pretty
thought however...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

Date:
> > How do the programmers here get paid?
> > 1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.
>
> Bingo!

I will give him a double-bingo!

> > 2. Your day job encourages you to spend some of your time
> > developing the db that your company uses.
>
> I know a few developers are in this category.
>
> > 4. You are all independently wealthy and do this for the fun of it.
>
> I could see this as something to do in retirement; a bunch of cranky
> 70 year olds debating the next development for Postgres isn't a pretty
> thought however...

We are cranky enough.  "You want to add feature X.  We don't think that
is a good idea."  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 12:21:07PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > How do the programmers here get paid?
> > > 1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.
> >
> > Bingo!
>
> I will give him a double-bingo!

Make this a triple.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Robert Davis wrote:

> I know this is off topic but...
>
> How do the programmers here get paid?
>
> 1. You do this in your spare time and dont get paid.
> 2. Your day job encourages you to spend some of your time developing the db that your company uses.
> 3. There is an organization that accepts money and distributes it to the hackers.

this one does exist (http://www.pgsql.com) ... part of all the revenues
that are made by "PostgreSQL, Inc" is allocated to be fed back into the
project... the kitty isn't very big ye, but it is there, and its
growing...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

Date:

> > > Bingo!
> >
> > I will give him a double-bingo!
>
> Make this a triple.

I think we are all insane, or very sane.  Not sure which.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

Date:
Michael Meskes <meskes@postgreSQL.org> writes:

>> I will give him a double-bingo!

> Make this a triple.

Quadruple-bingo.

Actually I could be put into category (2) --- my company uses Postgres,
so I have some excuse for working on Postgres during working hours ---
but I spend way more personal than business time on it.  It's just an
interesting project, that's all.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 01:56:49PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I think we are all insane, or very sane.  Not sure which.

Ask my wife and she surely says the former. :-)

Date:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 01:56:49PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think we are all insane, or very sane.  Not sure which.
>
> Ask my wife and she surely says the former. :-)

The book helped my wife see some value in this.  "Gee, I don't know
anyone who wrote a book", she said.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] off topic

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 10:03:07AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The book helped my wife see some value in this.  "Gee, I don't know
> anyone who wrote a book", she said.

Good idea, but you have to find time for writing a book too. Also I already
did this with my Ph.D. thesis so I'm afraid it won't count. :-)

Date:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 10:03:07AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The book helped my wife see some value in this.  "Gee, I don't know
> > anyone who wrote a book", she said.
>
> Good idea, but you have to find time for writing a book too. Also I already
> did this with my Ph.D. thesis so I'm afraid it won't count. :-)

Yes, you lose even more time with the book, which is added to the
PostgreSQL time.

Pennsylvania19026