Temp Tables: Trying to delete a reldesc...

From
Kristofer Munn
Date:
Hi all.  Running 6.5.3 on Intel Linux.  I think problems related to this
have been reported in the past but the mailing list archives are running
incredibly slowly lately so I'm not *absolutely* sure:

[PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]

mail=> begin transaction ;
BEGIN
mail=> create temp table tbl1 ( x int4 ) ;
CREATE
mail=> drop table tbl1 ;
DROP
mail=> commit transaction ;
NOTICE:  trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
NOTICE:  trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
END
mail=>

A two-parter:

(1) For myself: Is this at all dangerous/problematic for my database?

(2) For Postgres: Is this addressed in the latest 7.0 source or on theTODO list?

Thanks...

- K

Kristofer Munn * KMI * 973-509-9414 * AIM KrMunn * http://www.munn.com/

Re: [HACKERS] Temp Tables: Trying to delete a reldesc...

Date:
Kristofer Munn <kmunn@munn.com> writes:
> [ 6.5.3 acts funny about deleting a temp table created in the same
>   transaction ]

> (1) For myself: Is this at all dangerous/problematic for my database?

AFAIR the notice is harmless; we'd have tried harder to back-patch a
fix if the consequences of the bug were critical.

> (2) For Postgres: Is this addressed in the latest 7.0 source or on the
>     TODO list?

It's fixed in current sources.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Temp Tables: Trying to delete a reldesc...

Date:
> Hi all.  Running 6.5.3 on Intel Linux.  I think problems related to this
> have been reported in the past but the mailing list archives are running
> incredibly slowly lately so I'm not *absolutely* sure:
>
> [PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
>
> mail=> begin transaction ;
> BEGIN
> mail=> create temp table tbl1 ( x int4 ) ;
> CREATE
> mail=> drop table tbl1 ;
> DROP
> mail=> commit transaction ;
> NOTICE:  trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
> NOTICE:  trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
> END
> mail=>
>
> A two-parter:
>
> (1) For myself: Is this at all dangerous/problematic for my database?

Not a problem.  Was some issue with flushing the cache, I bet.

> (2) For Postgres: Is this addressed in the latest 7.0 source or on the
>     TODO list?

Fixed in current tree.

Pennsylvania19026