--enable-multibyte

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
We had a dicussion about this already, but I think I came up with a
solution that works for everyone.

[proposal]

* If you configure with --enable-multibyte then you build a server and
clients that are multibyte enabled (as defined by the MULTIBYTE symbol).
If you don't use multibyte functionality then nothing will change, so this
would be the preferred option for package maintainers.

* If you configure with --enable-multibyte=XXX then XXX will be initdb's
default encoding, but XXX won't be used anywhere else. This option is for
those who insist on it; the preferred way to go about this would be the
respective option for initdb itself.

I'd leave the --with-mb option in there but hidden and make the new option
the published interface. Any protests?

Re: [HACKERS] --enable-multibyte

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Peter,

> * If you configure with --enable-multibyte then you build a server and
> clients that are multibyte enabled (as defined by the MULTIBYTE symbol).
> If you don't use multibyte functionality then nothing will change, so this
> would be the preferred option for package maintainers.

This actually would mean that the default encoding is set to
SQL_ASCII, I guess.  Since the encoding column in pg_database must be
filled with some value, we need to pick up a default value for it
anyway. Any encoding could be a candidate for the default, probably
SQL_ASCII is a good choice, IMHO.
--
Tatsuo Ishii