[HACKERS] make JDBC postgresql.jar error

From
"Allan Huffman"
Date:
I'm trying to compile the src/interfaces/jdbc postgresql.jar file but I
get a syntax error (pg 6.5.2):
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: '(' unexpected
make: *** [all] Error 2

Funny thing is that I'm under the C shell.....using gcc, Solaris 7 on a
Sparc.

I tried to replace $( ) with ' ' per the instructions but there is some
syntax that I am not familiar with: $$($(JAVA) makeVersion).  How should
this look after the replacement?

Really appreciate help.  I've developed 3k SLOC under Visual Cafe
(managed to rewrite out all Symantec classes).  It's running fine in the
Visual Cafe environment.  Now I need to field it under the Netscape
Suitespot server.

Thanks

Allan in Belgium

Re: [HACKERS] make JDBC postgresql.jar error

From
Brian P Millett
Date:
Allan Huffman wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the src/interfaces/jdbc postgresql.jar file but I
> get a syntax error (pg 6.5.2):
> /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: '(' unexpected
> make: *** [all] Error 2

This has bitten me also.  I'm using a sparc, solaris 7, bash , gcc version
2.95.2.  This is a KLUDGE, but here is a patch that works for BASH:

vlad: diff -w3c Makefile /opt/java/pgsql/Makefile
*** Makefile    Wed Jun 23 00:56:17 1999
--- /opt/java/pgsql/Makefile    Tue Oct  5 09:20:17 1999
***************
*** 16,21 ****
--- 16,22 ---- JAVADOC               = javadoc RM            = rm -f TOUCH         = touch
+ SHELL         = /bin/bash
 # This defines how to compile a java class .java.class:

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group     "Heaven can not exist,

RE: [HACKERS] make JDBC postgresql.jar error

From
Peter Mount
Date:
the $$ syntax is where make passes $ to the command line. ie it should
pass something like:
`java makeVersion`

Anyhow, you can bypass this, by running one of the jdbc2 or java2 rules
instead of all.

Peter

--
Peter Mount