(OT) Linux limits

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
Sorry for the off-topic question, but...

I've got a (laptop) system running Mandrake 6.1 which is configured
out of the box to disallow core dumps from users. root is allowed to
increase the size limit (from tcsh, use "limit coredumpsize
unlimited") but users are not allowed to do this for themselves.

Where does one specify this parameter on a system-wide basis? My older
RedHat boxes all have a non-zero limit for this parameter, and allow
setting the limit to infinity by users. Don't know if Mandrake is
configured differently from RH6.1, but until I get this adjusted it
doesn't make a reasonable development machine...
                 - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] (OT) Linux limits

From
"neil d. quiogue"
Date:
Hello Thomas,
> Where does one specify this parameter on a system-wide basis? My older
> RedHat boxes all have a non-zero limit for this parameter, and allow
> setting the limit to infinity by users. Don't know if Mandrake is
> configured differently from RH6.1, but until I get this adjusted it
> doesn't make a reasonable development machine...

I have Mandrake 6.0 though I think I know your problem.  In
/etc/profile, there's an entry there where it limits core dumps to
100000 I think for root.  You might want to remove that or make it
unlimited.

Regards,

Neil D. Quiogue
STO - dotPH, Inc.
         "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."                                                  - Ralph
WaldoEmerson

Re: [HACKERS] (OT) Linux limits

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > I've got a (laptop) system running Mandrake 6.1 which is configured
> > out of the box to disallow core dumps from users. root is allowed to
> > increase the size limit (from tcsh, use "limit coredumpsize
> > unlimited") but users are not allowed to do this for themselves.
> are you looking for /etc/security/limits.conf ?

Thanks for the tip, and it looks like the right thing, but adding
entries for core and rebooting does not help. I then tried upping a
brute-force limit of zero imposed in the daemon startup function in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions thinking that inetd or loginout or somesuch
process might need to be higher (since all children inherit these
limits apparently), but that does not seem to help.

It is set to zero in /etc/profile, and commented out in
/etc/csh.cshrc, but afaik anything set at that point should be able to
be set higher later. There is a cryptic comment in /etc/profile saying
that "for bash2 it can't be set higher for user processes", but I
don't know what that's about.

Can someone running a Mandrake6.1 or RH6.1 system take a look at their
system limits (for csh use "limit", for bash use "ulimit -a"). Are
they greater than zero for the coredumpsize??
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] (OT) Linux limits

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> setting the limit to infinity by users. Don't know if Mandrake is
> configured differently from RH6.1, but until I get this adjusted it
> doesn't make a reasonable development machine...

My experience has been that starting with version 6.0 Mandrake is
diverging from RedHat.  Mandrake 5.3 can properly be called 'RedHat
5.2+KDE+enhancements' -- Mandrake 6.0 and 6.1, being released before
their RedHat counterparts, are not nearly as close.

I tried using Mandrake 6.0 to build RPMs, and quickly replaced it with
RedHat 6.0 -- Mandrake 6.0 used pgcc instead of egcs, for one.  Caused
me all manner of grief.  Mandrake 6.1 may be better in this regard, but
I am sticking with RedHat for the time being, as it is the current
baseline target of the RPM distribution.  From what I understand, the
RedHat binary RPM's still work with Mandrake.

Mandrake is now a full-fledged distribution, not just another RedHat
knock-off.

I'm going to have to get my home machine into a multidevelopment mode,
with RedHat, Caldera, SuSE, and Mandrake multibooting, as each of these
RPM-based distributions is different, although Mandrake and RedHat are
more alike than SuSE and Caldera.  Or, you can help me with Mandrake
issues in both the source and binary RPM's, just as I am getting
assistance from others with the Alpha patches, building/installing the
RPM's under SuSE and Caldera, and other architecture (ARM and MIPS come
to mind) issues.

Portability amongst Linux distributions is becoming nearly as big of
issue as portability amongst different Unices.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] (OT) Linux limits

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> Can someone running a Mandrake6.1 or RH6.1 system take a look at their
> system limits (for csh use "limit", for bash use "ulimit -a"). Are
> they greater than zero for the coredumpsize??

Mandrake 5.3:
[lowen@www lowen]$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)  1000000
data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes)      8192
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       256
pipe size (512 bytes)    8
open files               256
virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343
[lowen@www lowen]$

RedHat 6.0:
[lowen@backup lowen]$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)  1000000
data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes)      8192
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       256
pipe size (512 bytes)    8
open files               1024
virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343
[lowen@backup lowen]$

RedHat 6.1:
[lowen@utility lowen]$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)  1000000
data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes)      8192
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       2048
pipe size (512 bytes)    8
open files               1024
virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343
[lowen@utility lowen]$

Don't have a Mandrake 6.1 system up.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] (OT) Linux limits

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > I've got a (laptop) system running Mandrake 6.1 which is configured
> > > out of the box to disallow core dumps from users. root is allowed to
> > > increase the size limit (from tcsh, use "limit coredumpsize
> > > unlimited") but users are not allowed to do this for themselves.
> > are you looking for /etc/security/limits.conf ?
>
> Thanks for the tip, and it looks like the right thing, but adding
> entries for core and rebooting does not help. I then tried upping a
> brute-force limit of zero imposed in the daemon startup function in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions thinking that inetd or loginout or somesuch
> process might need to be higher (since all children inherit these
> limits apparently), but that does not seem to help.

Under FreeBSD, we have a similar file: login.conf ... after modifying it,
though, you have to run a command to "compile" it ... do you have
something similar?