RE: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

From
"Ansley, Michael"
Date:
Makes you wonder what people (companies) are spending their money on.  My
take on it is that commercial software licensing is, by and large, a hoax.

MikeA

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian
To: Don Baccus
Cc: Ansley, Michael; 'PostgreSQL-development '
Sent: 00/01/04 11:50
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open  source

> At 02:53 PM 1/4/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Great.  Rumour has it there is some HOT transaction code in there,
among
> >> other things.
>
> >We may find that that HOT transaction code is the same as our
> >transaction code, which I guess would mean ours is HOT too.
>
> (redundant, but what the heck)
>
> Their "multi-generational" concurrency control sure sounds just like
> MVCC.

Reminds me of the guy who said our MVCC was a leader in database
technology.  He did not realize is was only one person, Vadim, who did
the whole thing.

Amazing when just one of our developers makes the commercial db's look
like they are standing still.

Pennsylvania
19026

Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

Date:
> Makes you wonder what people (companies) are spending their money on.
> My take on it is that commercial software licensing is, by and large, a
> hoax.
>
> MikeA

My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

From
Scott Beasley
Date:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Makes you wonder what people (companies) are spending their money on.
> > My take on it is that commercial software licensing is, by and large, a
> > hoax.
> >
> > MikeA
>
> My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.

Thats the way it is every place I have worked.  It's known as the 2/3
rule.  1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.

scott

Date:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Makes you wonder what people (companies) are spending their money on.
> > > My take on it is that commercial software licensing is, by and large, a
> > > hoax.
> > >
> > > MikeA
> >
> > My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> > understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.
> >

> Thats the way it is every place I have worked.  It's known as the 2/3
> rule.  1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
> other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.

Yes, the 2/3's just push the bits around, making things worse.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

Date:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Makes you wonder what people (companies) are spending their money on.
> > > My take on it is that commercial software licensing is, by and large, a
> > > hoax.
> > >
> > > MikeA
> >
> > My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> > understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.
> >

> Thats the way it is every place I have worked.  It's known as the 2/3
> rule.  1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
> other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.

Oh, I didn't know it had a name.  I find it usually less than 1/3.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

From
Scott Beasley

> > > My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> > > understand the code.  The rest do support/sales/marketing.
> > >

> > Thats the way it is every place I have worked.  It's known as the 2/3
> > rule.  1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
> > other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.
>
> Oh, I didn't know it had a name.  I find it usually less than 1/3.

It's from the book, "The rise and fall of the American programer", if I
remember right (It's been several years since I read it.)  I would think
it's lower too, I guess it's an average, but I still find it true for the
most part.  I see open source being diffent tho.  The people working on OS
projects want to code.

scott