LONG vs. Toaster

From
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Well,

    AFAIK   we  had  a  consensus  on  making  "try  to  compress
    attributes  before  moving  off"  a   runtime,   per   column
    configuration option. And that's what I'm after.

    This  might  interfere with the LZTEXT data type as is. Since
    this new data type isn't released yet, I'll have to remove it
    again before freeze.  The compressor/decompressor will become
    part of the toaster.

    Needs to revert the changes to pg_rewrite too,  so  the  next
    release will NOT gain any bigger rules. But to release it and
    later fight problems that  I  already  see,  only  to  enable
    bigger rules right now, is IMHO the wrong decision.

    Any complaints?

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] LONG vs. Toaster

Date:
> Well,
>
>     AFAIK   we  had  a  consensus  on  making  "try  to  compress
>     attributes  before  moving  off"  a   runtime,   per   column
>     configuration option. And that's what I'm after.
>
>     This  might  interfere with the LZTEXT data type as is. Since
>     this new data type isn't released yet, I'll have to remove it
>     again before freeze.  The compressor/decompressor will become
>     part of the toaster.
>
>     Needs to revert the changes to pg_rewrite too,  so  the  next
>     release will NOT gain any bigger rules. But to release it and
>     later fight problems that  I  already  see,  only  to  enable
>     bigger rules right now, is IMHO the wrong decision.

Agreed.  There are over five weeks left.  Let's see what happens as we
get closer.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] LONG vs. Toaster

Date:
>> This  might  interfere with the LZTEXT data type as is. Since
>> this new data type isn't released yet, I'll have to remove it
>> again before freeze.  The compressor/decompressor will become
>> part of the toaster.
>>
>> Needs to revert the changes to pg_rewrite too,  so  the  next
>> release will NOT gain any bigger rules. But to release it and
>> later fight problems that  I  already  see,  only  to  enable
>> bigger rules right now, is IMHO the wrong decision.

> Agreed.

Yes.  I thought that LZTEXT was redundant as soon as we agreed that
compression could be part of the out-of-line storage mechanism.
Better to pull it now than have to support it long after it has
no purpose.  We can struggle along with limited-length rules for
a little bit longer.
        regards, tom lane