postgresql authentification for popper

From
Olivier PRENANT
Date:
Hi everyone,

I working on a project that will handle around 50000 mailboxes at least.

I have no problem with the system or sendmail. But I'm afraid that
popper (either pop3 or imap) won't be able to authentificate users the
standard way (/etc/passwd) does anyone knows if a version of imapd or
ipop3d has been modified to allow postgresql authentification.

If not, could you give me some pointers.

Regards to you all
--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql authentification for popper

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Olivier PRENANT wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I working on a project that will handle around 50000 mailboxes at least.
>
> I have no problem with the system or sendmail. But I'm afraid that
> popper (either pop3 or imap) won't be able to authentificate users the
> standard way (/etc/passwd) does anyone knows if a version of imapd or
> ipop3d has been modified to allow postgresql authentification.
>
> If not, could you give me some pointers.

Earlier in the week I submitted patches to the qpopper folks for a very
similar purpose - although I didn't add any database stuff to it.  It
reads a flat file of username:passwd:UID:GID:$HOME:shell and the UID/GID
can be the same.  Since the routine that reads the alternate password
file (BTW, it reads /etc/passwd first then the alt file) is a standalone
it'd be trivial to modify to read from a PostgreSQL table.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql authentification for popper

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
If you use Cyrus IMAPd (I use it on all my servers), you can use a PAM
module for authenticating...one server I'm just getting ready to put
online does /etc/passwd first, falls over to radiusd second and then
NT/smb third (need to cover alot of bases)...

Cyrus is also designed so that you don't need to have any users in your
/etc/passwd file...it was basically designed to be an ultra-secure, yet
feature-rich, mail server...

The newest version implements Sieve, for mail filter, which one of the
guyson the mailing list did up a great filter front-end too, so that you
can setup vacation/filters, again, without ever needing to have a user in
your /etc/passwd file ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

mdorman-pgsql.hackers@debian.org
Date:
Olivier PRENANT <ohp@pyrenet.fr> writes:
> I have no problem with the system or sendmail. But I'm afraid that
> popper (either pop3 or imap) won't be able to authentificate users the
> standard way (/etc/passwd) does anyone knows if a version of imapd or
> ipop3d has been modified to allow postgresql authentification.
>
> If not, could you give me some pointers.

Recent versions of UW IMAPD are PAM-enabled (on OSs that speak PAM),
and there is, I believe a PAM module for PostgreSQL authentication.

The 1.5.X cyrus IMAPD has patches to allow authentication against
PostgreSQL. 1.6.X went to using SASL, which means the patches against
1.5.X are no longer relevant, but I believe the SASL library is
PAM-enabled, so it can also use the PAM/PostgreSQL module.

Mike.