NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress

From
Kristofer Munn
Date:
Hi guys, thanks for all your great work on this system.  I'm really
hammering my copy of Postgres and that's probably the only reason I'm
seeing these errors.

PostgreSQL V6.5.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu

I occasionally (twice a day) receive the error:
NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress

And in the system log I see:
FATAL 1:  transaction commit failed on magnetic diskNOTICE:  AbortTransaction and not in in-progress

The connection to the backend drops.  I'm detecting the fatal error,
reconnecting and re-issuing the command right away and it goes through
fine the second time.

Any suggestions?

- K

Kristofer Munn * KMI * 973-509-9414 * AIM KrMunn * ICQ 352499 * www.munn.com

Re: [HACKERS] NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress

Date:
Kristofer Munn <kmunn@munn.com> writes:
> And in the system log I see:
>     FATAL 1:  transaction commit failed on magnetic disk
>     NOTICE:  AbortTransaction and not in in-progress

Ugh.  As near as I can tell, the "transaction commit failed" message
can only come out if fsync() returns a failure indication.  And that
basically shouldn't be happening, unless you've got flaky disk hardware.

> Any suggestions?

I'll bet it stops happening if you run with -o -F (no fsync) ;-).
But as for non-band-aid solutions, I haven't a clue.  Anyone?
        regards, tom lane