mv backend/port ../../

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I use the following functions in psql which are found in backend/port.
That implies that there is at least one system that doesn't have these so
it would be a good idea if they were available to the entire code tree.
Could someone move them to a better place in the tree or would you like me
to do it?

strcasecmp
strtol
putenv (from nextstep/port.c)

In addition, as I already mentioned a while back, I would really like to
use

snprintf

Could that be done?

Thanks,Peter

RE: mv backend/port ../../

From
Stéphane FILLON
Date:
Hi Peter,

Could you explain me the use of these 3 functions:

strcasecmp
strtol
putenv (from nextstep/port.c)

Regards,
______________________________
Stéphane FILLON
mailto:fillons@offratel.nc

Re: [HACKERS] mv backend/port ../../

Date:
> I use the following functions in psql which are found in backend/port.
> That implies that there is at least one system that doesn't have these so
> it would be a good idea if they were available to the entire code tree.
> Could someone move them to a better place in the tree or would you like me
> to do it?
>
> strcasecmp
> strtol
> putenv (from nextstep/port.c)

We have them because only a few platforms don't have them.  They are
normally part of the OS library.

It is counter productive to move them out of port.  We want to reduce
what is in there, not move it into the main tree.

> In addition, as I already mentioned a while back, I would really like to
> use
>
> snprintf

I think so, but it only handles strings.  You have to interface that to
the pgsql character types.

Pennsylvania19026