Query string lengths

From
"Ansley, Michael"
Date:
Hi,

Has anybody received the patches that I sent making query strings
extensible?  I posted them twice, and didn't even get them back from the
patches list myself.  Is there a problem with attachments?  There were two
files attached.

MikeA

Re: [HACKERS] Query string lengths

Date:
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> Has anybody received the patches that I sent making query strings
> extensible?  I posted them twice, and didn't even get them back from the
> patches list myself.  Is there a problem with attachments?

I saw them in pgsql-patches-digest V1 #171.

Haven't got round to doing anything with them yet --- I'm up to my
elbows in the guts of the optimizer right now, and want to bring that
work to some kind of closure before I think about anything else.
Has anyone else tried Michael's patches yet?

BTW, the digest pretty much ruins MIME-ified attachments --- the message
I have in my inbox is full of "=0A=" and other MIME junk, with no simple
means of stripping it out since the MIME headers are gone.  Dunno if
there is any way of fixing this.  I don't suppose we can or even want to
discourage people from sending patches as MIME attachments, but the
patches digest is nearly useless when they do...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Query string lengths

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Has anybody received the patches that I sent making query strings
> extensible?  I posted them twice, and didn't even get them back from the
> patches list myself.  Is there a problem with attachments?  There were two
> files attached.

I think we have seen them (I usually don't hang on to them since I'm
not the "patch from the list" group, but I see something dated Friday,
Aug 13).

Sorry for the delay in someone responding; we must be busy with other
projects. For your kind of patches, which touch several directories,
it takes a bit longer for someone to wade through and understand them.
And at this time we are not near a release date, so several of us get
busy on big Postgres projects for the next release and don't come up
for air ;)

afaik there is no problem with the techniques you used to do this (I
recall you discussing it on the list) so the patches *should* make it
into the tree in the next bit. Probably for v6.6, not v6.5.x, but I'm
just guessing...

Thanks for doing the work.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Query string lengths

Date:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody received the patches that I sent making query strings
> extensible?  I posted them twice, and didn't even get them back from the
> patches list myself.  Is there a problem with attachments?  There were two
> files attached.

I have them.  They go in 6.6, not 6.5.2.

Pennsylvania19026