6.5.2

From
Vadim Mikheev
Date:
Are we going to release subj in near future?
If yes then please wait a few days - seems that I'll
have patch for btree to fix problems reported by
Oleg Bartunov - indices growing/update slowdown...

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.2

Date:
Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru> writes:
> Are we going to release subj in near future?
> If yes then please wait a few days -

Also, I'd like to see if we can't resolve Adriaan Joubert's bug report
first.  The list-clearing problem doesn't seem to be it...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.1, error in pg_dump

From
Don Baccus
Date:
All has been going well with this version, so I decided to
let 'er rip in public two days ago.  Last night, I got the
following error from my nightly pg_dump, which has been running
fine for weeks during development:

Can not create pgdump_oid table.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:  cannot
create pgdump_oid
'.

Any explanations for this behavior?

Any ideas as to how I can fix it?  I'm dumping OIDs because some of the
free code I'm porting from Oracle/Tcl/AOLserver to Postgres/Tcl/AOLserver
uses their equivalent row id in places.

sigh...

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.1, error in pg_dump

Date:
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Can not create pgdump_oid table.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:  cannot
> create pgdump_oid
> '.

AFAICT, the only way that you'd get that precise wording out of the
backend is if its attempt to create the physical file for the table
fails --- that is, open(filename, O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_EXCL, 0600)
fails.  The only error message I can find with that wording is in
smgrcreate(), and it looks like all the other potential causes of
failure below that point (such as running out of memory) would yield
different messages.

So, it would seem that the initial cause of the problem is that there
was already a file by that name --- perhaps because some earlier
instance of postgres failed to unlink it.

I'm not sure about the bizarrenesses you report later on --- they
sound like the system tables may have gotten corrupted, or perhaps
just the relation cache inside the backend.  (Did killing the backend
and starting a new one help?)  But I am thinking the error messages
must have been different at that point...

We saw vaguely similar behaviors with temp tables when we were still
flushing the bugs out of temp tables.  I wonder if there are still
some temp-table-related bugs?

Date:
At 06:48 PM 8/6/99 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
>> Can not create pgdump_oid table.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:  cannot
>> create pgdump_oid
>> '.
>
>AFAICT, the only way that you'd get that precise wording out of the
>backend is if its attempt to create the physical file for the table
>fails --- that is, open(filename, O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_EXCL, 0600)
>fails.  The only error message I can find with that wording is in
>smgrcreate(), and it looks like all the other potential causes of
>failure below that point (such as running out of memory) would yield
>different messages.
>
>So, it would seem that the initial cause of the problem is that there
>was already a file by that name --- perhaps because some earlier
>instance of postgres failed to unlink it.

thanks for tracking this down, I was busy yesterday, started to
poke at sources but didn't really have time to do so in earnest.

This does fit with the fact that the files for the offending
tables did indeed still exist.

I did try deleting the one for my "foo" test case, and could
then create and supposedly drop the table, but the relation
in this case then was not removed from pg_class, nor was the
file removed.

I have had occassional filesystem problems on this machine,
and not only in postgres.  Linux flakies?  System flakies?
I've not quite been able to decide, nor do I have a spare
machine to rebuild on.  I keep hearing that Linux is very
solid, particularly the 2.0.36 kernal I'm using, but this
is my first experience running Linux on a steady basis (I
have tons of other Unix experience, of course).

>I'm not sure about the bizarrenesses you report later on --- they
>sound like the system tables may have gotten corrupted, or perhaps
>just the relation cache inside the backend.  (Did killing the backend
>and starting a new one help?)

No, unfortunately.

>  But I am thinking the error messages
>must have been different at that point...

Yes, the relation was still in the pg_class table (I think that's
right as opposed to pg_tables).  As was the file.  This makes more
sense, actually, in that it appears that the unlink was failing
and it didn't get removed from the system table, either - though
it's weird it reported success on the drop.

One thought crossing my mind was that the Linux filesystem may've
gotten itself into a weird state, in particular the cache.  I
rebooted, initdb'd and rebuilt and everything's OK now.

>We saw vaguely similar behaviors with temp tables when we were still
>flushing the bugs out of temp tables.  I wonder if there are still
>some temp-table-related bugs?

At this point I'm willing to believe it is a Linux or (perhaps
more likely) system problem.   If it happens again, I'm better
prepared as to where to look for more details, at least.

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.2

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru> writes:
> > Are we going to release subj in near future?
> > If yes then please wait a few days -
>
> Also, I'd like to see if we can't resolve Adriaan Joubert's bug report
> first.  The list-clearing problem doesn't seem to be it...

Shall we go for a Sept 1st release of  v6.5.2?  Vadim, does that give you
enough time?  It doesn't have to be "perfect", only better then v6.5.1...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Oleg Bartunov