Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE performance degradation (6.5.1)

From
Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5
Date:
> This is for table with one row  after a lot of updates.
> Too much. vacuum analyze this table was a good  medicine !
> Is this a design problem ?

In PostgreSQL an update always adds a new row to the table.
The old rows get eliminated by vacuum that is the whole business of vacuum.
There has been some discussion for implementing row reuse,
but that is a major task.

Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE performance degradation (6.5.1)

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:57:06 +0200
> From: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas.Zeugswetter@telecom.at>
> To: 'Oleg Bartunov' <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> Cc: "'hackers@postgresql.org'" <hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE performance degradation (6.5.1)
>

> > This is for table with one row  after a lot of updates.
> > Too much. vacuum analyze this table was a good  medicine !
> > Is this a design problem ?
> >
> In PostgreSQL an update always adds a new row to the table.
> The old rows get eliminated by vacuum that is the whole business of vacuum.
> There has been some discussion for implementing row reuse,
> but that is a major task.

Ok, I understand now the size of the table. What's about index file ?
Why it's so big. Look. just did delete from hits and vacuum analyze.

om:/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/discovery$ l hits*
-rw-------   1 postgres users           0 Jul 27 19:14 hits
-rw-------   1 postgres users     2015232 Jul 27 19:14 hits_pkey

after 6500 updates:

om:/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/discovery$ l hits*
-rw-------   1 postgres users      344064 Jul 27 19:23 hits
-rw-------   1 postgres users     2097152 Jul 27 19:23 hits_pkey

and it took a lot of time. Also I populate table hits by 10,000 rows
and run the same test. It was incredibly slow.

It seems index file doesn't affected by vacuum analyze !
Could we consider this as a bug ?
Regards,
    Oleg

> Andreas

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83