MAX Query length

From
"Ansley, Michael"
Date:
Trawling through the code last night I noticed that:
#define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)

Is there any conceivable reason why the query length would be dependent on
the block size?  Or do I just have old source code?

MikeA

Re: [HACKERS] MAX Query length

Date:
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> Trawling through the code last night I noticed that:
> #define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)

> Is there any conceivable reason why the query length would be dependent on
> the block size?

Sure: you want to be able to INSERT a tuple of maximum size.  In the
absence of dynamically sized text buffers, a reasonable estimate of
the longest INSERT command of interest is going to depend on BLCKSZ.

I don't know how long that particular constant has been defined like
that, though.  I had the idea that it was the same as BLCKSZ, not 2x.
You may well find that frontend libpq is using a different value for
its buffer sizes than the backend is :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] MAX Query length

Date:

> Trawling through the code last night I noticed that:
> #define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)
>
> Is there any conceivable reason why the query length would be dependent on
> the block size?  Or do I just have old source code?

No great reason, but is seems like a good maximum.  This controls the
buffer size on the client and server.  Do you need it larger?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] MAX Query length

From
Bernard Frankpitt
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> > Trawling through the code last night I noticed that:
> > #define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)
>

> Sure: you want to be able to INSERT a tuple of maximum size.  In the
> absence of dynamically sized text buffers, a reasonable estimate of
> the longest INSERT command of interest is going to depend on BLCKSZ.

While I agree that it is reasonable that the query size should be
dependent on the block-size, there is an assumption here that the
type_in() and type_out() routines that do not expand the size of the
ascii representation of the tuple data in the query string to more than
twice is size in it's internal disk representation.  An important
exception to this assumption would be large arrays of floating point
data that are stored with limited precision.  A (single-precision) float
takes 4 bytes of space in a  disk  block, yet the ascii representation
for the same data before conversion could easily take in excess of 16
bits if it comes from a
piece of code  like
       double x;int buf_pos........buf_pos +=   snprintf( &query_buf[buf_pos], (l_buf - buf_pos ), "%e", x);

somewhere in a front end.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to increase
the multiplier in
   #define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)

to something larger than 2.

Bernie Frankpitt