PATCH for pgconnection.h

From
Brian P Millett
Date:
I am using the Sun Workshop C 5.0, noticed that I was getting the
following errors:
"pgconnection.h", line 65: Error: string is not defined.
"pgconnection.cc", line 134: Error: string is not defined.
"pgconnection.cc", line 139: Error: Cannot return char* from a function
that should return int.
3 Error(s) detected.

Futher looking noticed that the standard namespace was not being used
for the "string" typedef, so the following patch fixed that for me.
This is for the 6.5 tar release & the 6/24 CVS checkout.

vlad: diff -w3c interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h.orig
interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h
*** interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h.orig      Thu Jun 24 10:49:54 1999

--- interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h   Thu Jun 24 10:48:31 1999
***************
*** 23,28 ****
--- 23,34 ---- #include <stdio.h> #include <string>

+ #ifdef __sun__
+ #ifndef __GNUC__
+ using namespace std;
+ #endif
+ #endif
+ extern "C" { #include "libpq-fe.h" }

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group     "Heaven can not exist,

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

Date:
This is the second mention of 'namespace' I have seen.  Can we allow
this by default?

Of course, I get:
 pgconnection.h:26: warning: namespaces are mostly broken in this version of g++

but it still works.  Comments?

> I am using the Sun Workshop C 5.0, noticed that I was getting the
> following errors:
> "pgconnection.h", line 65: Error: string is not defined.
> "pgconnection.cc", line 134: Error: string is not defined.
> "pgconnection.cc", line 139: Error: Cannot return char* from a function
> that should return int.
> 3 Error(s) detected.
>
> Futher looking noticed that the standard namespace was not being used
> for the "string" typedef, so the following patch fixed that for me.
> This is for the 6.5 tar release & the 6/24 CVS checkout.
>
> vlad: diff -w3c interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h.orig
> interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h
> *** interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h.orig      Thu Jun 24 10:49:54 1999
>
> --- interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.h   Thu Jun 24 10:48:31 1999
> ***************
> *** 23,28 ****
> --- 23,34 ----
>   #include <stdio.h>
>   #include <string>
>
> + #ifdef __sun__
> + #ifndef __GNUC__
> + using namespace std;
> + #endif
> + #endif
> +
>   extern "C" {
>   #include "libpq-fe.h"
>   }
>

> --
> Brian Millett
> Enterprise Consulting Group     "Heaven can not exist,
> (314) 205-9030                     If the family is not eternal"
> bpm@ec-group.com                   F. Ballard Washburn

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On 08-Jul-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This is the second mention of 'namespace' I have seen.  Can we allow
> this by default?
>
> Of course, I get:
>
>   pgconnection.h:26: warning: namespaces are mostly broken in this version of g++
>
> but it still works.  Comments?

Um.. No?  Are you also using SWC 5.0?   And if it's g++, do we have a version
besides Sun's?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Sun stuff.

Vince.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

> On 08-Jul-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > This is the second mention of 'namespace' I have seen.  Can we allow
> > this by default?
> >
> > Of course, I get:
> >
> >   pgconnection.h:26: warning: namespaces are mostly broken in this version of g++
> >
> > but it still works.  Comments?
>
> Um.. No?  Are you also using SWC 5.0?   And if it's g++, do we have a version
> besides Sun's?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Sun stuff.
>
> Vince.

I am using g++ in gcc 2.7.1.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

From
"Patrick Welche"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On 08-Jul-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the second mention of 'namespace' I have seen.  Can we allow
> > > this by default?
> > >
> > > Of course, I get:
> > >
> > >   pgconnection.h:26: warning: namespaces are mostly broken in this version of g++
> > >
> > > but it still works.  Comments?
> >
> > Um.. No?  Are you also using SWC 5.0?   And if it's g++, do we have a version
> > besides Sun's?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Sun stuff.
> >
> > Vince.
>
> I am using g++ in gcc 2.7.1.

Remember way back when when I had a

#include <something>

and it caused problems for some people who really needed

#include <something.h>

Now I think (but am certainly not sure!) that the difference between the
two was meant to be that in the first instance, the standard namespace
is used. I can't really follow what's happening as

% cvs status pgconnection.cc
Fatal error, aborting.
: no such user

We just changed the first to the second as in g++ all that <something>
does is to include <something.h>, but it may not be true for other compilers.

Hope someone with a reference book near them can check this!

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

Date:

>> + #ifdef __sun__
>> + #ifndef __GNUC__
>> + using namespace std;
>> + #endif
>> + #endif

The above is really, really ugly, not to say broken, because neither
being on a Sun nor using gcc have anything to do with whether your
compiler handles namespaces.  The problem we are looking at here is that
the C++ standard is a moving target, and some people have compilers that
are newer than others.

I think the proper solution is to add a configure-time test to see
whether a namespace declaration is needed.  We could use configure to
see whether we need ".h" on the end of C++ include file references, too.
(That's another thing that's going to be site-dependent for a while to
come.)
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> I think the proper solution is to add a configure-time test to see
> whether a namespace declaration is needed.  We could use configure to
> see whether we need ".h" on the end of C++ include file references, too.
> (That's another thing that's going to be site-dependent for a while to
> come.)

Hmmm.  I'm running 2.7.2.1 here and in the case of <string> I have a
file called: /usr/include/g++/string <-- note there's no .h on the end.
Am I being dense here and missing something or does this differ from what
other folks have?  There's also a number of other files without the .h
extension in that directory.  string includes std/string.h.

Vince.

Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the proper solution is to add a configure-time test to see
>> whether a namespace declaration is needed.  We could use configure to
>> see whether we need ".h" on the end of C++ include file references, too.
>> (That's another thing that's going to be site-dependent for a while to
>> come.)

> Hmmm.  I'm running 2.7.2.1 here and in the case of <string> I have a
> file called: /usr/include/g++/string <-- note there's no .h on the end.
> Am I being dense here and missing something or does this differ from what
> other folks have?

Same as what I have, but I'm using gcc 2.7.2.2 so that's not real
surprising.  I was under the impression that naming conventions for
C++ library include files have changed at least once in the development
of the C++ standards --- but I may be mistaken.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

Date:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> >>
> >> + #ifdef __sun__
> >> + #ifndef __GNUC__
> >> + using namespace std;
> >> + #endif
> >> + #endif

Yes, never applied.

> The above is really, really ugly, not to say broken, because neither
> being on a Sun nor using gcc have anything to do with whether your
> compiler handles namespaces.  The problem we are looking at here is that
> the C++ standard is a moving target, and some people have compilers that
> are newer than others.
>
> I think the proper solution is to add a configure-time test to see
> whether a namespace declaration is needed.  We could use configure to
> see whether we need ".h" on the end of C++ include file references, too.
> (That's another thing that's going to be site-dependent for a while to
> come.)

I smell TODO list:
* Add configure test to check for C++ need for *.h and namespaces

Added.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

Date:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > I think the proper solution is to add a configure-time test to see
> > whether a namespace declaration is needed.  We could use configure to
> > see whether we need ".h" on the end of C++ include file references, too.
> > (That's another thing that's going to be site-dependent for a while to
> > come.)
>
> Hmmm.  I'm running 2.7.2.1 here and in the case of <string> I have a
> file called: /usr/include/g++/string <-- note there's no .h on the end.
> Am I being dense here and missing something or does this differ from what
> other folks have?  There's also a number of other files without the .h
> extension in that directory.  string includes std/string.h.

We remove .h, and someone complains, we add .h, and someone complains,
but fewer people.  Configure is the answer.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h

Date:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> >>
> >> + #ifdef __sun__
> >> + #ifndef __GNUC__
> >> + using namespace std;
> >> + #endif
> >> + #endif

Yes, never applied.

Date:
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [...]

Looks like someone's mailer reinjected this one.

Vince.

Date:

> Looks like someone's mailer reinjected this one.

We removed the __sun__ line because it was considered strange.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Looks like someone's mailer reinjected this one.
> >

> We removed the __sun__ line because it was considered strange.

Look at the date of the message.  Someone from a2000.nl is reinjecting
messages to the list.  That's all my note was about.   I've seen a few
of 'em so far this mourning.

Vince.

Mail loop at a2000.nl (was Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h)

Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> Looks like someone's mailer reinjected this one.

Yes, along with five others that were also about two weeks old.
I recall having noticed several other such incidents in the recent
past, all bearing headers that indicate the retransmitted messages
originally went from the mail list to one <Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl>.

Start of reinjection of this one (note date):

AAA5185;        Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:34:05 +0200

Immediately prior Received: lines:

idAAT19D0         for <Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl>; Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:48:41 +0200

Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl;Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:46:44 +0200

00:40:25-0400 (EDT)(envelope-from owner-pgsql-hackers@hub.org)

This morning I sent a polite note to postmaster@cable.a2000.nl, warning
them that they've got a problem with mail looping.  It promptly bounced
back with
 postmaster@cable.a2000.nl:   SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:   <postmaster@cable.a2000.nl>:   host
hardy-1.a2000.nl[192.168.17.13]:   550 Invalid recipient <postmaster@cable.a2000.nl>

(Sending to postmaster@a2000.nl instead probably won't help, since it
MX's to the same machines.)

I conclude that a2000.nl is run by a bunch of idiots who can't read
RFCs, let alone operate a mail server competently.  I expect that
we will continue to get blessed with regurgitated messages until Marc
pulls any a2000.nl addresses from the mailing lists :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: Mail loop at a2000.nl (was Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h)

From
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Tom Lane wrote:

>           (Netscape Messaging Server 3.6)  with SMTP id AAA5185;
>           Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:34:05 +0200
>
> Immediately prior Received: lines:

>           (Netscape Messaging Server 3.6)  with ESMTP id AAT19D0
>           for <Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl>; Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:48:41 +0200

    And look at the dates!

> This morning I sent a polite note to postmaster@cable.a2000.nl, warning
> them that they've got a problem with mail looping.  It promptly bounced
> back with
>
>   postmaster@cable.a2000.nl:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
>     <postmaster@cable.a2000.nl>:
>     host hardy-1.a2000.nl [192.168.17.13]:
>     550 Invalid recipient <postmaster@cable.a2000.nl>

    I've  also  tried  to  send  to  postmaster@hardy-1.a2000.nl.
    Result: unknown host :-)

    But the CC to Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl didn't bounce. Maybe
    he'll  receive  it  and  can  forward  it  in HARDCOPY to his
    pEstmaster.

> (Sending to postmaster@a2000.nl instead probably won't help, since it
> MX's to the same machines.)
>
> I conclude that a2000.nl is run by a bunch of idiots who can't read
> RFCs, let alone operate a mail server competently.  I expect that
> we will continue to get blessed with regurgitated messages until Marc
> pulls any a2000.nl addresses from the mailing lists :-(

    NC

Jan

Re: Mail loop at a2000.nl (was Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h)

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
going...going...gone...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Mail loop at a2000.nl (was Re: [HACKERS] PATCH for pgconnection.h)

From
Maarten Boekhold
Date:
> I conclude that a2000.nl is run by a bunch of idiots who can't read
> RFCs, let alone operate a mail server competently.  I expect that
> we will continue to get blessed with regurgitated messages until Marc
> pulls any a2000.nl addresses from the mailing lists :-(

Could be that they're idiots, if so I hope they can find some competent people
to help them out there. They're the TV cable operators for Amsterdam and surroundings
and have probably about half a million houses connected to their network.
Since about a year and a half (I guess) they're into internet over cable modems, and
actually the bandwidth they deliver is pretty impressive (especially if you're
used to 28k8 modems ;)

Maarten

--

Maarten Boekhold, boekhold@tibco.com
TIBCO Finance Technology Inc.

At 17:03 26-7-99 +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
>    And look at the dates!
>> This morning I sent a polite note to postmaster@cable.a2000.nl, warning
>> them that they've got a problem with mail looping.  It promptly bounced
>> back with
>    But the CC to Z.Nijmeyers@cable.a2000.nl didn't bounce. Maybe
>    he'll  receive  it  and  can  forward  it  in HARDCOPY to his
>    pEstmaster.

I'm really sorry that my ISP is doing wonderful :-) things to it's
mail-servers

>> I conclude that a2000.nl is run by a bunch of idiots who can't read
>> RFCs, let alone operate a mail server competently.  I expect that

they are a bunch of idiots and complaining doesn't help a bit, in the past
couple of weeks everyone in amsterdam who has cable internet, has had
extreme trouble with email.

>> we will continue to get blessed with regurgitated messages until Marc
>> pulls any a2000.nl addresses from the mailing lists :-(

If the problem persists with a2000 messages looping back please let me know
and I will unsubscribe from the list and resubscribe using another email
address