6.6 items

Date:
I have updated the TODO list, rearranging it.  Here is the top of the
"Enhancements" list:
* Add referential integrity* Add OUTER joins, left and right(Thomas)* Allow long tuples by chaining or auto-storing
outsidedb (chaining,large objs)* Fix memory leak for expressions?, aggregates?

And the top of "Performance" is:
* Allow transaction commits with rollback with no-fsync performance* Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries

This should help.  Did I get all the big items just discussed?

TODO list for PostgreSQL
========================
Last updated:        Sun Jun  6 22:08:59 EDT 1999

Current maintainer:    Bruce Momjian (maillist@candle.pha.pa.us)

The most recent version of this document can be viewed at
the PostgreSQL WWW site, http://www.postgreSQL.org.

A dash(-) marks changes to be in the next release.

Developers who have claimed items are:
-------------------------------------* Billy is Billy G. Allie <Bill.Allie@mug.org>* Brook is Brook Milligan
<brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>*Bruce is Bruce Momjian<maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>* Bryan is Bryan
Henderson<bryanh@giraffe.netgate.net>*D'Arcy is D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>* David is David Hartwig
<daveh@insightdist.com>*Edmund is Edmund Mergl <E.Mergl@bawue.de>* Goran is Goran Thyni <goran@kyla.kiruna.se>* Hiroshi
isHiroshi Inoue<Inoue@tpf.co.jp>* Jan is Jan Wieck <wieck@sapserv.debis.de>    * Marc is Marc Fournier
<scrappy@hub.org>*Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@cs.unitn.it>* Michael is Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>* Oleg is Oleg
Bartunov<oleg@sai.msu.su>* Peter is Peter T Mount <peter@retep.org.uk>* Stefan Simkovics
<ssimkovi@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at>*Tatsuo is Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>* Tom is Tom Lane
<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>*Thomas is Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu>* TomH is Tom I Helbekkmo
<tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
* Vadim is "Vadim B. Mikheev" <vadim@krs.ru>

RELIABILITY
-----------
* Overhaul mdmgr/smgr to fix double unlinking and double opens, cleanup
* Overhaul bufmgr/lockmgr/transaction manager
* Remove EXTEND?
* Tables that start with xinv confused to be large objects
* Two and three dimensional arrays display improperly, missing {}
* Select a[1] FROM test fails, it needs test.a[1]
* Update table SET table.value = 3 fails
* User who can create databases can modify pg_database table
* Elog() does not free all its memory(Jan)
* Disallow inherited columns with the same name as new columns
* Recover or force failure when disk space is exhausted
* Views containing aggregates sometimes fail(Jan)
* Alter TABLE ADD COLUMN does not honor DEFAULT, add CONSTRAINT
* Array index references without table name cause problems
* Views with spaces in view name fail when referenced
* Plpgsql does not handle quoted mixed-case identifiers
* Do not allow bpchar column creation without length
* INSERT INTO ... SELECT with AS columns matching result columns problem

ENHANCEMENTS
------------
* Add referential integrity
* Add OUTER joins, left and right(Thomas)
* Allow long tuples by chaining or auto-storing outside db (chaining,large objs)
* Fix memory leak for expressions?, aggregates?

Exotic features:
* Add sql3 recursive unions
* Add the concept of dataspaces
* Add replication of distributed databases
* Allow queries across multiple databases

Admin:
* Better interface for adding to pg_group
* More access control over who can create tables and access the database
* Add syslog functionality
* Allow elog() to return error codes, not just messages
* Allow international error message support and add error codes
* Generate postmaster pid file and remove flock/fcntl lock code
* Add ability to specifiy location of lock/socket files

Types:
* Add BIT, BIT VARYING
* Nchar (as distinguished from ordinary varchar),
* Domain capability
* Add STDDEV/VARIANCE() function for standard deviation computation/variance
* Allow compression of large fields or a compressed field type
* Large objects* Fix large object mapping scheme, own typeid or reltype(Peter)* Allow large text type to use large
objects(Peter)*Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory

* Allow pg_descriptions when creating types, tables, columns, and functions
* Add IPv6 capability to INET/CIDR types
* Make a separate SERIAL type?
* Store binary-compatible type information in the system
* Allow user to define char1 column
* Add support for & operator

* Allow views of aggregate columns
* Allow views with subselects

* Allow subqueries in target list
* Put sort files, large objects in their on directory
* Do autocommit so always in a transaction block
* Show location of syntax error in query
* Redesign the function call interface to handle NULLs better(Jan)
* Document/trigger/rule so changes to pg_shadow create pg_pwd
* Missing optimizer selectivities for date, etc.

* Allow CREATE INDEX zman_index ON test (date_trunc( 'day', zman ) datetime_ops)fails index can't store constant
parameters
* Allow creation of functional indexes to use default types
* Permissions on indexes - prevent them?
* Allow SQL function indexes
* Add FILLFACTOR to index creation

Commands:
* ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN to inherited table put column in wrong place
* Add ALTER TABLE DROP/ALTER COLUMN feature
* Allow CLUSTER on all tables at once, and improve CLUSTER
* Generate error on CREATE OPERATOR of ~~, ~ and and ~*
* Add SIMILAR TO to allow character classes, 'pg_[a-c]%'
* Auto-destroy sequence on DROP of table with SERIAL
* Allow LOCK TABLE tab1, tab2, tab3 so all tables locked in unison
* Allow INSERT/UPDATE of system-generated oid value for a row
* Allow ESCAPE '\' at the end of LIKE for ANSI compliance
* Rewrite the LIKE handling by rewriting the user string with the supplied ESCAPE
* Move LIKE index optimization handling to the optimizer
Clients:
* Make NULL's come out at the beginning or end depending on the ORDER BY direction
* Allow flag to control COPY input/output of NULLs
* Update reltuples from COPY command
* Allow psql \copy to allow delimiters
* Add a function to return the last inserted oid, for use in psql scripts
* Allow psql to print nulls as distinct from ""(?)

* Increase identifier length(NAMEDATALEN) if small performance hit
* Allow row re-use without vacuum, maybe?(Vadim)
* Add UNIQUE capability to non-btree indexes
* Certain indexes will not shrink, i.e. oid indexes with many inserts
* Restore unused oid's on backend exit if no one else has gotten oids
* Have UPDATE/DELETE clean out indexes
* Allow WHERE restriction on ctid
* Allow cursors to be DECLAREd/OPENed/CLOSEed outside transactions
* Allow PQrequestCancel() to terminate when in waiting-for-lock state
* Transaction log, so re-do log can be on a separate disk
* Populate backend status area and write program to dump status data
* Make oid use unsigned int more reliably, pg_atoi()

* Add PL/Perl(Mark Hollomon)

PERFORMANCE
-----------
* Allow transaction commits with rollback with no-fsync performance
* Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries

* Use indexes in ORDER BY for restrictive data sets, min(), max()
* Pull requested data directly from indexes, bypassing heap data
* Use index to restrict rows returned by multi-key index when used withnon-consecutive keys or OR clauses, so fewer
heapaccesses

* Use index with constants on functions

* Allow LIMIT ability on single-table queries that have no ORDER BY to usea matching index
* Improve LIMIT processing by using index to limit rows processed

* Cache most recent query plan(s?)
* Shared catalog cache, reduce lseek()'s by caching table size in shared area

* Allow compression of log and meta data
* Update pg_statistic table to remove operator column
* Make index creation use psort code, because it is now faster(Vadim)
* Allow char() not to use variable-sized header to reduce disk size
* Do async I/O to do better read-ahead of data
* Fix memory exhaustion when using many OR's
* Get faster regex() code from Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.utoronto.ca>when it is available
* Use mmap() rather than SYSV shared memory(?)
* Process const = const parts of OR clause in separate pass
* Make oid use oidin/oidout not int4in/int4out in pg_type.h
* Create more system table indexes for faster cache lookups
* Improve Subplan list handling
* Allow Subplans to use efficient joins(hash, merge) with upper variable

DOCUMENTATION
-------------
* Add use of 'const' for varibles in source tree

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

From
Vadim Mikheev
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have updated the TODO list, rearranging it.  Here is the top of the
> "Enhancements" list:
>
>  * Add referential integrity
>  * Add OUTER joins, left and right(Thomas)
>  * Allow long tuples by chaining or auto-storing outside db (chaining,large objs)
>  * Fix memory leak for expressions?, aggregates?
>
> And the top of "Performance" is:
>
>  * Allow transaction commits with rollback with no-fsync performance
>  * Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries
>
> This should help.  Did I get all the big items just discussed?

Savepoints.
Error codes.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

Date:
> > I have updated the TODO list, rearranging it.  Here is the top of the
> > "Enhancements" list:
> >
> >  * Add referential integrity
> >  * Add OUTER joins, left and right(Thomas)
> >  * Allow long tuples by chaining or auto-storing outside db (chaining,large objs)
> >  * Fix memory leak for expressions?, aggregates?
> >
> > And the top of "Performance" is:
> >
> >  * Allow transaction commits with rollback with no-fsync performance
> >  * Prevent fsync in SELECT-only queries
> >
> > This should help.  Did I get all the big items just discussed?
>
> Savepoints.
> Error codes.

I tried to pick items that users were complaining about, not items we
plan to do for 6.6.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have updated the TODO list, rearranging it.  Here is the top of the
> "Enhancements" list:
>
>  * Add referential integrity
>  * Add OUTER joins, left and right(Thomas)
>  * Allow long tuples by chaining or auto-storing outside db (chaining,large objs)
>  * Fix memory leak for expressions?, aggregates?

How hard would it bet to separate PREPARE and EXECUTE for queries
and provide some way to pass arguments without converting them to some
ascii representation first?

The main use I need it for is storing small images in ordinary table
fields.

The mechanics should already be there as SPI uses it.
----------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

Date:
> Did I get all the big items just discussed?

Eliminating limits on textual query length.

(This is not same thing as increasing tuple size, although in practice
we'd want to do both in the same release.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

Date:
Done.

> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > Did I get all the big items just discussed?
>
> Eliminating limits on textual query length.
>
> (This is not same thing as increasing tuple size, although in practice
> we'd want to do both in the same release.)
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> Did I get all the big items just discussed?

Maybe they're too big issues just to add, but when I discuss Postgresql
with people responsible for company decisions about databases they
always mention

- Scalability. This may come if PostgreSQL INC will introduce
clusterwide servers

- Security. One main point is the roll forward facility. I think all
the commercial db's has this?

- Up time. This means hot backup and no locking of the database during
vacuum.