postgresql bug report (fwd)

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:50:58 -0400
From: Jack Howarth <howarth@nitro.med.uc.edu>
To: scrappy@hub.org
Subject: postgresql bug report

Marc,     In porting the RedHat 6.0 srpm set for a linuxppc release we
believe a bug has been identified in
the postgresql source for 6.5-0.beta1. Our development tools are as
follows...

glibc 2.1.1 pre 2
linux 2.2.6
egcs 1.1.2
the latest binutils snapshot

The bug that we see is that when egcs compiles postgresql at -O1 or
higher (-O0 is fine),
postgresql creates incorrectly formed databases such that when the user
does a destroydb
the database can not be destroyed. Franz Sirl has identified the problem
as follows...
   it seems that this problem is a type casting/promotion bug in the
source. The   routine _bt_checkkeys() in backend/access/nbtree/nbtutils.c calls
int2eq() in   backend/utils/adt/int.c via a function pointer
*fmgr_faddr(&key[0].sk_func). As   the type information for int2eq is lost via the function pointer,
the compiler   passes 2 ints, but int2eq expects 2 (preformatted in a 32bit reg)
int16's.   This particular bug goes away, if I for example change int2eq to:
   bool   int2eq(int32 arg1, int32 arg2)   {           return (int16)arg1 == (int16)arg2;   }
   This moves away the type casting/promotion "work" from caller to the
callee and   is probably the right thing to do for functions used via function
pointers.

...because of the large number of changes required to do this, Franz
thought we should
pass this on to the postgresql maintainers for correction. Please feel
free to contact
Franz Sirl (Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com) if you have any questions
on this bug
report.

Jack W. Howarth, Ph.D.                                     231 Bethesda Avenue
NMR Facility Director                              Cincinnati, Ohio 45267-0524
Dept. of Molecular Genetics                              phone: (513) 558-4420
Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine                    fax: (513) 558-8474

6.5 cvs: problem with includes in src/interfaces/libpq++/

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
To compile postgres using gcc 2.7.2.1 I had to modify 2 files
src/interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.ccsrc/interfaces/libpq++/pgenv.h

Particularly,
#include <iostream> to #include <iostream.h>
in src/interfaces/libpq++/pgenv.h
and
#include <strstream> to #include <strstream.h>

There are no problem with egcs 1.12 release
Could somebody made changes in cvs sources.
Oleg

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>     it seems that this problem is a type casting/promotion bug in the
> source. The
>     routine _bt_checkkeys() in backend/access/nbtree/nbtutils.c calls
> int2eq() in
>     backend/utils/adt/int.c via a function pointer
> *fmgr_faddr(&key[0].sk_func). As
>     the type information for int2eq is lost via the function pointer,
> the compiler
>     passes 2 ints, but int2eq expects 2 (preformatted in a 32bit reg)
> int16's.
>     This particular bug goes away, if I for example change int2eq to:

>     bool
>     int2eq(int32 arg1, int32 arg2)
>     {
>             return (int16)arg1 == (int16)arg2;
>     }

Yow.  I can't believe that we haven't seen this failure before on a
variety of platforms.  Calling an ANSI-style function that has char or
short args is undefined behavior if you call it without benefit of a
prototype, because the parameter layout is allowed to be different.
Apparently, fewer compilers exploit that freedom than I would've thought.

Really, *all* of the builtin-function routines ought to take arguments
of type Datum and then do the appropriate Get() macro to extract what
they want from 'em.  That's a depressingly large amount of work, but
at the very least the functions that take bool and int16 have to be
changed...
        regards, tom lane

Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> To compile postgres using gcc 2.7.2.1 I had to modify 2 files
>  src/interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.cc
>  src/interfaces/libpq++/pgenv.h
> Particularly,
> #include <iostream> to #include <iostream.h>
> #include <strstream> to #include <strstream.h>

I am seeing the same thing here with gcc 2.7.2.2.  We need to adopt
a considered policy about whether libpq++ will still support gcc 2.7.*,
not just break it without thinking.

I'd vote for still supporting 2.7.*, but I know that the C++ library
shipped with this gcc release is not real up-to-date.  It may not be
practical to support both latest-C++-spec compilers and the older
generation; I'm not sure what the issues are.

If the conclusion is "no", then the configure script ought to be
changed to not try to build libpq++ unless up-to-date libraries
are available.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Marc,
>       In porting the RedHat 6.0 srpm set for a linuxppc release we
> believe a bug has been identified in
> the postgresql source for 6.5-0.beta1. Our development tools are as
> follows...
>
> glibc 2.1.1 pre 2
> linux 2.2.6
> egcs 1.1.2
> the latest binutils snapshot
>
> The bug that we see is that when egcs compiles postgresql at -O1 or
> higher (-O0 is fine),
> postgresql creates incorrectly formed databases such that when the user
> does a destroydb
> the database can not be destroyed. Franz Sirl has identified the problem
> as follows...
[snip]

I've been using PosgreSQL and LinuxPPC for a longtime, and never seen
these kind of problems (I have a serious problem with 2.1.xxx kernels
whenever I try to run PostgreSQL, but this is a different story,
anyway).

I have a standard installation using the R4.2 CD from LinuxPPC org.

kernel 2.1.24
glibc-0.961212-1h
gcc version egcs-2.90.25 980302 (egcs-1.0.2 prerelease)
binutils-2.9.1-1a

However your explnation sounds reasonable, I will look into to see why
my system seems to have no problem.
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Date:
> Marc,
>       In porting the RedHat 6.0 srpm set for a linuxppc release we
> believe a bug has been identified in
> the postgresql source for 6.5-0.beta1. Our development tools are as
> follows...
>
> glibc 2.1.1 pre 2
> linux 2.2.6
> egcs 1.1.2
> the latest binutils snapshot
>
> The bug that we see is that when egcs compiles postgresql at -O1 or
> higher (-O0 is fine),
> postgresql creates incorrectly formed databases such that when the user
> does a destroydb
> the database can not be destroyed. Franz Sirl has identified the problem
> as follows...
[snip]

I've been using PosgreSQL and LinuxPPC for a longtime, and never seen
these kind of problems (I have a serious problem with 2.1.xxx kernels
whenever I try to run PostgreSQL, but this is a different story,
anyway).

I have a standard installation using the R4.2 CD from LinuxPPC org.

kernel 2.1.24
glibc-0.961212-1h
gcc version egcs-2.90.25 980302 (egcs-1.0.2 prerelease)
binutils-2.9.1-1a

However your explnation sounds reasonable, I will look into to see why
my system seems to have no problem.
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 cvs: problem with includes in src/interfaces/libpq++/

Date:
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > To compile postgres using gcc 2.7.2.1 I had to modify 2 files
> >  src/interfaces/libpq++/pgconnection.cc
> >  src/interfaces/libpq++/pgenv.h
> > Particularly,
> > #include <iostream> to #include <iostream.h>
> > #include <strstream> to #include <strstream.h>
>
> I am seeing the same thing here with gcc 2.7.2.2.  We need to adopt
> a considered policy about whether libpq++ will still support gcc 2.7.*,
> not just break it without thinking.
>
> I'd vote for still supporting 2.7.*, but I know that the C++ library
> shipped with this gcc release is not real up-to-date.  It may not be
> practical to support both latest-C++-spec compilers and the older
> generation; I'm not sure what the issues are.
>
> If the conclusion is "no", then the configure script ought to be
> changed to not try to build libpq++ unless up-to-date libraries
> are available.

The addition/removal of '.h' has happened before.  Some need it, some
can't handle it.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)

Date:
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >     it seems that this problem is a type casting/promotion bug in the
> > source. The
> >     routine _bt_checkkeys() in backend/access/nbtree/nbtutils.c calls
> > int2eq() in
> >     backend/utils/adt/int.c via a function pointer
> > *fmgr_faddr(&key[0].sk_func). As
> >     the type information for int2eq is lost via the function pointer,
> > the compiler
> >     passes 2 ints, but int2eq expects 2 (preformatted in a 32bit reg)
> > int16's.
> >     This particular bug goes away, if I for example change int2eq to:
>
> >     bool
> >     int2eq(int32 arg1, int32 arg2)
> >     {
> >             return (int16)arg1 == (int16)arg2;
> >     }
>
> Yow.  I can't believe that we haven't seen this failure before on a
> variety of platforms.  Calling an ANSI-style function that has char or
> short args is undefined behavior if you call it without benefit of a
> prototype, because the parameter layout is allowed to be different.
> Apparently, fewer compilers exploit that freedom than I would've thought.
>
> Really, *all* of the builtin-function routines ought to take arguments
> of type Datum and then do the appropriate Get() macro to extract what
> they want from 'em.  That's a depressingly large amount of work, but
> at the very least the functions that take bool and int16 have to be
> changed...

I concur in your Yow.  Lots of changes, and I am surprised we have not
been bitten by this before.  Added to TODO:
Fix function pointer calls to take Datum args for char and int2 args

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)

Date:
We are aware of this bug.  We have turned down optimization on PPC and
Alpha platforms until it is fixed, probably in 6.6.