Bug on complex join

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
Hi!
  I am continuing playing with the query (I reduced it to):
SELECT  sh.distr_id , d.distr_id                                                   FROM central cn, shops sh, districts
d                                            WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id

and got 27963 rows. I filtered it out (with awk:) where $1 == $2 (1st
column is equal to second) and got 3104 rows.
  But the query
SELECT d.*                                                                         FROM central cn, shops sh, districts
d                                            WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id = d.distr_id

returned 0 rows.
  Where is the bug?

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> SELECT  sh.distr_id , d.distr_id
>    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
>       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id
> and got 27963 rows.
>    But the query
> SELECT d.*
>    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
>       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id = d.distr_id

Why did you change both the target columns *and* the query qualification
between these two examples? Is the "SELECT d.*" required to get the
query to fail?? If not, then...

For some reason sh.distr_id is not equal to d.distr_id. Are they
different data types? Do they have some embedded blanks?? Probably not a
Postgres bug, since the query itself looks pretty simple...
                    - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
Hi!

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > SELECT  sh.distr_id , d.distr_id
> >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
> >       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id
> > and got 27963 rows.
> >    But the query
> > SELECT d.*
> >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
> >       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id = d.distr_id
>
> Why did you change both the target columns *and* the query qualification
> between these two examples? Is the "SELECT d.*" required to get the
> query to fail?? If not, then...
  Cause I need something in the target list. Wrong way to test it? What is
a better way?

> For some reason sh.distr_id is not equal to d.distr_id. Are they
> different data types? Do they have some embedded blanks?? Probably not a
  Both are int2. No blanks (at least I cannot imagine blanks in int2 :).

> Postgres bug, since the query itself looks pretty simple...
  That's why I am very confused. :(

>                      - Tom

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
Vadim Mikheev
Date:
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
>    I am continuing playing with the query (I reduced it to):
> SELECT  sh.distr_id , d.distr_id
>    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
>       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id
>
> and got 27963 rows. I filtered it out (with awk:) where $1 == $2 (1st
> column is equal to second) and got 3104 rows.
>
>    But the query
> SELECT d.*
>    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
>       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id = d.distr_id
>
> returned 0 rows.
>
>    Where is the bug?

Please post me EXPLAIN VERBOSE for second query.

Vadim

Date:
On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> >    I am continuing playing with the query (I reduced it to):
> > SELECT  sh.distr_id , d.distr_id
> >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
> >       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id
> >
> > and got 27963 rows. I filtered it out (with awk:) where $1 == $2 (1st
> > column is equal to second) and got 3104 rows.
> >
> >    But the query
> > SELECT d.*
> >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d
> >       WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id = d.distr_id
> >
> > returned 0 rows.
> >
> >    Where is the bug?
>
> Please post me EXPLAIN VERBOSE for second query.

EXPLAIN VERBOSE SELECT d.*   FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d      WHERE cn.shop_id = sh.shop_id AND sh.distr_id
=d.distr_id

;
pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or
whileprocessing the request.

We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.
  :(((

> Vadim

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
Hello!
  Another symptom. The query

SELECT cn.date_i, cn.pos_id                                                        FROM central cn
                                             WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan

returns 3156 rows. But this:

SELECT cn.date_i, p.subsec_id, cn.pos_id, p.pos_id  FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d, positions p     WHERE
cn.date_i>= current_date - '300 days'::timespan

failed:

pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or
whileprocessing the request.

We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.
  Tables attached (ZIP file with script to recreate tables and SQL
commands).

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hello!
>
>    Another symptom. The query
>
> SELECT cn.date_i, cn.pos_id
>    FROM central cn
>       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan
>
> returns 3156 rows. But this:
>
> SELECT cn.date_i, p.subsec_id, cn.pos_id, p.pos_id
>    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d, positions p
>       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan

this should return  3156 * count(shops) * count(districts) * count(positions)

which is probably too much for the backend ;(

-----------------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] Bug on complex join

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
Hi!

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > SELECT cn.date_i, cn.pos_id
> >    FROM central cn
> >       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan
> >
> > returns 3156 rows. But this:
> >
> > SELECT cn.date_i, p.subsec_id, cn.pos_id, p.pos_id
> >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d, positions p
> >       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan
>
> this should return
>    3156 * count(shops) * count(districts) * count(positions)
>
> which is probably too much for the backend ;(
  Bad news. Thanks for pointing this.

Date:
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > > SELECT cn.date_i, cn.pos_id
> > >    FROM central cn
> > >       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan
> > >
> > > returns 3156 rows. But this:
> > >
> > > SELECT cn.date_i, p.subsec_id, cn.pos_id, p.pos_id
> > >    FROM central cn, shops sh, districts d, positions p
> > >       WHERE cn.date_i >= current_date - '300 days'::timespan
> >
> > this should return
> >    3156 * count(shops) * count(districts) * count(positions)
> >
> > which is probably too much for the backend ;(                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For the client-side, not for the backend - backend doesn't
keep all result tuples in memory.