Major breakage?

Date:
Is anyone else seeing major breakage of the regression tests with
today's (Monday's) CVS checkins?  Or did I break something myself?

I'm seeing wrong answers in tests numerology and select_having;
plus coredumps in opr_sanity, subselect and rules.  Also the same
unexpected messages in union and misc as were there a few days ago.

I've been making what I thought were perfectly safe changes, so
I was surprised when things blew up in my face just before I was
ready to check in.  Noting the scope of what other people committed
today, I'd like to believe it's someone else's fault...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Major breakage?

From
Vadim Mikheev
Tom Lane wrote:

> Is anyone else seeing major breakage of the regression tests with
> today's (Monday's) CVS checkins?  Or did I break something myself?
>
> I'm seeing wrong answers in tests numerology and select_having;
> plus coredumps in opr_sanity, subselect and rules.  Also the same
> unexpected messages in union and misc as were there a few days ago.
>
> I've been making what I thought were perfectly safe changes, so
> I was surprised when things blew up in my face just before I was
> ready to check in.  Noting the scope of what other people committed
> today, I'd like to believe it's someone else's fault...

Try gmake clean + initdb.
At least RULES were affected by my changes...
I forgot to say, sorry.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Major breakage?

I wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing major breakage of the regression tests with
>> today's (Monday's) CVS checkins?  Or did I break something myself?

Nope, Vadim broke something.  It looks like anything with a subplan
will coredump in Monday's sources.  executor/nodeSubPlan.c has

bool
ExecInitSubPlan(SubPlan *node, EState *estate, Plan *parent)
{   ...   ExecCheckPerms(CMD_SELECT, 0, node->rtable, (Query *) NULL);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(and has had that for a long time, evidently).  One of the additions
Vadim checked in yesterday extends ExecCheckPerms() to try to use
its parseTree argument --- unconditionally.  Guaranteed null-pointer
dereference.

Perhaps ExecInitSubPlan is in error to pass a null parseTree; if not,
then ExecCheckPerms needs to be modified to cope.  I don't understand
either routine enough to fix it correctly.

This bug is the cause of the opr_sanity coredump I'm seeing.
I don't have time to investigate the other test failures right now,
but very possibly they are the same thing.

BTW, anyone who is *not* seeing regression test coredumps with the
current CVS sources must have their compile/link options set so that
dereferencing a null pointer isn't fatal.  I think that's a very bad
choice for software development --- you want to hear about it, loud
and clear, if your code tries to use a null pointer.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Major breakage?

> I wrote:
> >> Is anyone else seeing major breakage of the regression tests with
> >> today's (Monday's) CVS checkins?  Or did I break something myself?
>
> Nope, Vadim broke something.  It looks like anything with a subplan
> will coredump in Monday's sources.  executor/nodeSubPlan.c has
>
> bool
> ExecInitSubPlan(SubPlan *node, EState *estate, Plan *parent)
> {
>     ExecCheckPerms(CMD_SELECT, 0, node->rtable, (Query *) NULL);
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> (and has had that for a long time, evidently).  One of the additions
> Vadim checked in yesterday extends ExecCheckPerms() to try to use
> its parseTree argument --- unconditionally.  Guaranteed null-pointer
> dereference.
>
> Perhaps ExecInitSubPlan is in error to pass a null parseTree; if not,
> then ExecCheckPerms needs to be modified to cope.  I don't understand
> either routine enough to fix it correctly.

I caused the 'having' problems.  I am working on a fix.
Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Major breakage?

From
Vadim Mikheev
Tom Lane wrote:

> Nope, Vadim broke something.  It looks like anything with a subplan
> will coredump in Monday's sources.  executor/nodeSubPlan.c has
>
> bool
> ExecInitSubPlan(SubPlan *node, EState *estate, Plan *parent)
> {
>     ExecCheckPerms(CMD_SELECT, 0, node->rtable, (Query *) NULL);
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> (and has had that for a long time, evidently).  One of the additions
> Vadim checked in yesterday extends ExecCheckPerms() to try to use
> its parseTree argument --- unconditionally.  Guaranteed null-pointer
> dereference.
>
> Perhaps ExecInitSubPlan is in error to pass a null parseTree; if not,         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No.

> then ExecCheckPerms needs to be modified to cope.  I don't understand
Yes.

> either routine enough to fix it correctly.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't fix this in CVS - I'm changing
execMain.c now to support READ COMMITTED mode. Could someone
add check in ExecCheckPerms ?
Sorry.

Vadim