Re: BSDI 3.1 -> BSDI 4.0 performance degradation;(h

Date:
> > I have seen gnu sed version 1.* beat bsd sed by 2-3x.
>
> Partly my fault, I fear.  The regular-expression code used in BSD sed,
> last I checked, was the version I supplied for 4.4BSD... which works but
> was done in haste and is rather slow.  A much improved new release (new
> implementation, in fact) is imminent, and the BSDI folk are likely to take
> advantage of it (they've prodded me about it from time to time).

Cool.  I think I have bugged you a few times too.

I hate to see the GNU tools beat the BSD tools.

PostgreSQL(www.postgresql.org) is ready to your replace your old regex
code with your new code as soon as you are ready.  FYI, we have a
February 1 beta planned if you need testers.

Hope you will announce something publically when it is ready.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: BSDI 3.1 -> BSDI 4.0 performance degradation;(h

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
>> > I have seen gnu sed version 1.* beat bsd sed by 2-3x.
>>
>> Partly my fault, I fear.  The regular-expression code used in BSD sed,
>> last I checked, was the version I supplied for 4.4BSD... which works but
>> was done in haste and is rather slow.  A much improved new release (new
>> implementation, in fact) is imminent, and the BSDI folk are likely to take
>> advantage of it (they've prodded me about it from time to time).
>
>Cool.  I think I have bugged you a few times too.
>
>I hate to see the GNU tools beat the BSD tools.
>
>PostgreSQL(www.postgresql.org) is ready to your replace your old regex
>code with your new code as soon as you are ready.  FYI, we have a
>February 1 beta planned if you need testers.
>
>Hope you will announce something publically when it is ready.

Please do not remove the old regex code in current source tree
(ifdef'ed is ok) since I will not have enough time right now to make
I18N version of the new regex code.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] Re: BSDI 3.1 -> BSDI 4.0 performance degradation;(h

Date:
> >PostgreSQL(www.postgresql.org) is ready to your replace your old regex
> >code with your new code as soon as you are ready.  FYI, we have a
> >February 1 beta planned if you need testers.
> >
> >Hope you will announce something publically when it is ready.
>
> Please do not remove the old regex code in current source tree
> (ifdef'ed is ok) since I will not have enough time right now to make
> I18N version of the new regex code.

I did not realize someone has made modifications to that.  I will keep
that in mind.

Pennsylvania19026