perl vs perl5

From
Daniel Kalchev
Date:
I have been wondering why the perl5 module is compiled using the

cd perl5 && perl Makefile.PL

command (in /var/src/local/pgsql/src/interfaces/Makefile)

Why perl and not perl5? :-)

On BSD/OS 'perl' is perl 4.0 and perl5 is separate binary. TO add to the
confustion, /usr/local/bin/perl is perl5 (symbolic link).

Do other platform have 'perl' binary is that is actually perl 5.0, but do not
have perl5 binary?

Maybe configure should test about perl version and proper binary?

Daniel

Re: [HACKERS] perl vs perl5

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> I have been wondering why the perl5 module is compiled using the
>
> cd perl5 && perl Makefile.PL
>
> command (in /var/src/local/pgsql/src/interfaces/Makefile)
>
> Why perl and not perl5? :-)
>
> On BSD/OS 'perl' is perl 4.0 and perl5 is separate binary. TO add to the
> confustion, /usr/local/bin/perl is perl5 (symbolic link).
>
> Do other platform have 'perl' binary is that is actually perl 5.0, but
> do not have perl5 binary?

    Correct...I have /usr/bin/perl which is perl4, and
/usr/local/bin/perl, which is perl5 ...