USE_LOCALE and unsigned char *

From
Andreas Zeugswetter
Date:
It currently looks like all developers are on a platform where USE_LOCALE is defined.

If it is not defined (e.g. on AIX)  I get all sorts of
Function argument assignment between types "unsigned char*" and "char*" is not allowed.

I gather unsigned char's are only supposed to show up in a USE_LOCALE environment.

backend/util/adt/varlena.c
backend/commands/copy.c
include/utils/builtins.h

Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] USE_LOCALE and unsigned char *

Date:
> It currently looks like all developers are on a platform where USE_LOCALE is defined.
>
> If it is not defined (e.g. on AIX)  I get all sorts of
> Function argument assignment between types "unsigned char*" and "char*" is not allowed.
>
> I gather unsigned char's are only supposed to show up in a USE_LOCALE environment.
>
> backend/util/adt/varlena.c
> backend/commands/copy.c
> include/utils/builtins.h
>
> Andreas

I #ifdef USE_LOCALE around varlena.c, but I don't see the other ones.
Send in some patches, OK?

t-ishii@sra.co.jp (Tatsuo Ishii)
Date:
At 7:18 PM 98.9.2 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> It currently looks like all developers are on a platform where USE_LOCALE is
>>defined.
>>
>> If it is not defined (e.g. on AIX)  I get all sorts of
>> Function argument assignment between types "unsigned char*" and "char*" is
>>not allowed.
>>
>> I gather unsigned char's are only supposed to show up in a USE_LOCALE
>>environment.
>>
>> backend/util/adt/varlena.c
>> backend/commands/copy.c
>> include/utils/builtins.h
>>
>> Andreas
>

>I #ifdef USE_LOCALE around varlena.c, but I don't see the other ones.
>Send in some patches, OK?

I think I am responsible of some of "unisigned char problems."
I will look into these as soon as I confirm Bruce's fix works
for LinuxPPC. Ok?

--
Tatsuo Ishii
t-ishii@sra.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] USE_LOCALE and unsigned char *

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> >> It currently looks like all developers are on a platform where
> >> USE_LOCALE is defined.
> >> If it is not defined (e.g. on AIX)  I get all sorts of
> >> Function argument assignment between types "unsigned char*" and
> >> "char*" is not allowed.
> I think I am responsible of some of "unisigned char problems."
> I will look into these as soon as I confirm Bruce's fix works
> for LinuxPPC. Ok?

fwiw, gcc seems much more tolerant of this. I never compile with the
USE_LOCALE features (unless trying to debug timezone complaints :) and
my builds don't barf^H^H^H^Hfail.

                   - Tom

Date:
>>> It currently looks like all developers are on a platform where USE_LOCALE is
>>>defined.
>>>
>>> If it is not defined (e.g. on AIX)  I get all sorts of
>>> Function argument assignment between types "unsigned char*" and "char*" is
>>>not allowed.
>>>
>>> I gather unsigned char's are only supposed to show up in a USE_LOCALE
>>>environment.
>>>
>>> backend/util/adt/varlena.c
>>> backend/commands/copy.c
>>> include/utils/builtins.h
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>

>>I #ifdef USE_LOCALE around varlena.c, but I don't see the other ones.
>>Send in some patches, OK?
>
>I think I am responsible of some of "unisigned char problems."
>I will look into these as soon as I confirm Bruce's fix works
>for LinuxPPC. Ok?

I looked into above three files. So far I couldn't find any problem
with them. maybe I should look for another file?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
t-ishii@sra.co.jp