pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
"Yelai, Ramkumar"
Date:
HI

At present, I have some requirement to truncate the data base  to reclaim disk space and at the same time I need to take basebackup.

Seems, truncate is successfully reclaimed the space but pgbasebackup failed and reported the below error.

“could not stat file or directory ./base/16384/25600: Permission denied.

Further observation shows that truncate command reclaiming the space by making empty (not deleted)  these files in ./base/16384 folders.

Seems these filename are relfilenode in pg_class table to map filename to table name. Since truncate making empty these files and create new files to map the old table name, pgbasebackup is unable to synch with truncate and pointing to old files.

Also, the old files are not deleted from “base” folder.

Please let me know how to resolve this issue

With best regards,
Ramkumar Yelai

Registered Office: 130, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Worli, Mumbai 400 018. Telephone +91 22 39677000. Fax +91 22 39677075. Other Offices: Bangalore, Chennai, Gurgaon, Noida, Kolkata, Pune. Corporate Identity number:U99999MH1986PLC093854

Re: pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 08/10/2016 11:06 PM, Yelai, Ramkumar wrote:
> HI
>
> At present, I have some requirement to truncate the data base  to
> reclaim disk space and at the same time I need to take basebackup.

To be clear you ran TRUNCATE on tables within the database, correct?

If not what was the actual command you used?

> Seems, truncate is successfully reclaimed the space but pgbasebackup
> failed and reported the below error.
>
> “could not stat file or directory ./base/16384/25600: Permission denied.

So what user did you run pg_basebackup  as and does that user have
rights on that file/directory?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Yelai, Ramkumar
<ramkumar.yelai@siemens.com> wrote:
> HI
>
> At present, I have some requirement to truncate the data base  to reclaim
> disk space and at the same time I need to take basebackup.
>
> Seems, truncate is successfully reclaimed the space but pgbasebackup failed
> and reported the below error.
>
> “could not stat file or directory ./base/16384/25600: Permission denied.

Are you on MS Windows?  If so, sounds like a possible variant of BUG #14243

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Yelai, Ramkumar
> <ramkumar.yelai@siemens.com> wrote:
>> At present, I have some requirement to truncate the data base  to reclaim
>> disk space and at the same time I need to take basebackup.
>>
>> Seems, truncate is successfully reclaimed the space but pgbasebackup failed
>> and reported the below error.
>>
>> “could not stat file or directory ./base/16384/25600: Permission denied.
>
> Are you on MS Windows?  If so, sounds like a possible variant of BUG #14243

That's really the same issue... See here for more details:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160712083220.1426.58667@wrigleys.postgresql.org
If you have ideas about making a difference between a real permission
error and STATUS_PENDING_DELETE, that would be great.
--
Michael

Re: pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
"Yelai, Ramkumar"
Date:
Hi,

I have only one database and I ran query with superuser privilege.

Seems this issue is related to BUG 14243.

Regards,
Ramkumar.
On 08/10/2016 11:06 PM, Yelai, Ramkumar wrote:
> HI
>
> At present, I have some requirement to truncate the data base  to
> reclaim disk space and at the same time I need to take basebackup.

To be clear you ran TRUNCATE on tables within the database, correct?

If not what was the actual command you used?

> Seems, truncate is successfully reclaimed the space but pgbasebackup
> failed and reported the below error.
>
> "could not stat file or directory ./base/16384/25600: Permission denied.

So what user did you run pg_basebackup  as and does that user have rights on that file/directory?

> Further observation shows that truncate command reclaiming the space
> by making empty (not deleted)  these files in ./base/16384 folders.
>
> Seems these filename are relfilenode in pg_class table to map filename
> to table name. Since truncate making empty these files and create new
> files to map the old table name, pgbasebackup is unable to synch with
> truncate and pointing to old files.
>
> Also, the old files are not deleted from "base" folder.
>
> Please let me know how to resolve this issue
>
> With best regards,
> Ramkumar Yelai
>
> _mailto:ramkumar.yelai@siemens.com_
> _http://www.siemens.co.in/STS_
>
> Registered Office: 130, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Worli, Mumbai 400 018.
> Telephone +91 22 39677000. Fax +91 22 39677075. Other Offices:
> Bangalore, Chennai, Gurgaon, Noida, Kolkata, Pune. Corporate Identity
> number:U99999MH1986PLC093854

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: pgbasebackup is failing after truncate

From
"Yelai, Ramkumar"
Date:
HI,

Thanks for helpful information.

Even if there is no way to fix then please let me know how long that file ( pending  for deletion ) will be present in
thatdirectory.

I observe like 1 or 2 hr after it will be deleted. But I am wondering, who is deleting that file.

Regards,
Ramkumar