How to hide JDBC connection credentials from git?

From
Alexander Farber
Date:
Hello,

I work on several small Java projects (using Maven+NetBeans) and store them in a public git repository.

I would like to use PostgreSQL JDBC in some of the projects, but don't want to make the connection credentials of my database public.

Surely there are other developers out there, who have already faced similar problem.

Please share your solutions.

It is probably possible to put the database name/user/password into a *.properties file and then ignore it in git repository, but keep it in the workarea?

Thank you
Alex

Re: How to hide JDBC connection credentials from git?

From
Szymon Lipiński

I work on several small Java projects (using Maven+NetBeans) and store them in a public git repository.

I would like to use PostgreSQL JDBC in some of the projects, but don't want to make the connection credentials of my database public.

Surely there are other developers out there, who have already faced similar problem.

Please share your solutions.

It is probably possible to put the database name/user/password into a *.properties file and then ignore it in git repository, but keep it in the workarea?

Thank you
Alex

Usually I use either a separate config file, or environment variables wrapped into a separate runner file. The properties file you mentioned is quite a good idea.
Just remember to provide a template file, so other programmers could create their own properties file without debugging the application. And document how I should make my own properties file, and run the app.

--
    regards Szymon Lipiński