first_value/last_value

From
Tom Smith
Hello:

Is there a plan for 9.7  to enable using the two aggregate function
as non-window function?   i.e.  enabling getting the first/last row
in single sql without using window features.
There is actually a  C-extension for first()/last().
I am wondering  if 9.7 would make them built-in function like max/min

Thanks

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Adam Brusselback

Is there a reason you can't do that now with a limit 1/order by/union all?
Just have it ordered one way on the first query and the other on the bottom. That will give you two rows that are the first / last in your set based on whatever column you order on.

Is there a plan for 9.7  to enable using the two aggregate function
as non-window function?   i.e.  enabling getting the first/last row
in single sql without using window features.
There is actually a  C-extension for first()/last().
I am wondering  if 9.7 would make them built-in function like max/min

Thanks

Re: first_value/last_value

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Is there a plan for 9.7  to enable using the two aggregate function
as non-window function?   i.e.  enabling getting the first/last row
in single sql without using window features.
There is actually a  C-extension for first()/last().
I am wondering  if 9.7 would make them built-in function like max/min

The "distinct on" capability provides this for at least some use cases.

Given this is first I've even seen a gripe on this, and the window versions have existed for something like 6 years, I'd have to say this isn't high on anyone's radar.

David J.

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Tom Smith
Date:
I need to use both in single sql.

Is there a reason you can't do that now with a limit 1/order by/union all?
Just have it ordered one way on the first query and the other on the bottom. That will give you two rows that are the first / last in your set based on whatever column you order on.

Is there a plan for 9.7  to enable using the two aggregate function
as non-window function?   i.e.  enabling getting the first/last row
in single sql without using window features.
There is actually a  C-extension for first()/last().
I am wondering  if 9.7 would make them built-in function like max/min

Thanks

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Adam Brusselback
Date:
Here is an example that works in a single query.  Since you have two different orders you want the data back in, you need to use subqueries to get the proper data back, but it works, and is very fast.

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE foo AS
SELECT generate_series as bar
FROM generate_series(1, 1000000);

CREATE INDEX idx_foo_bar ON foo (bar);

SELECT *
FROM (
SELECT bar
FROM foo
ORDER BY bar asc
LIMIT 1
) x
UNION ALL
SELECT *
FROM (
SELECT bar
FROM foo
ORDER BY bar desc
LIMIT 1
) y;

DROP TABLE foo;

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Melvin Davidson

[...]

Seems to me SELECT min(<column>),  max(<column>) FROM deja.vu ; would also work.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Tom Smith
Date:
It would really save all the troubles for many people if postgresql has a built-in first/last function  along with sum/avg.
There is already a C extension and a wiki sample  and  implemented for window function.
I am curious why these two functions were not added along  their window implementation counter part,
for completness and consistency

[...]

Matija Lesar
Date:
[...]

You can always create your aggregate function for this.

Here is example for getting non null first and last value:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION firstval_sfunc(anyelement, anyelement)
returns anyelement
language sql
as $BODY$
    SELECT CASE WHEN $1 is NULL THEN $2 ELSE $1 END;
$BODY$;

CREATE AGGREGATE myfirstval(anyelement) (
    SFUNC = firstval_sfunc,
    STYPE = anyelement
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION lastval_sfunc(anyelement, anyelement)
returns anyelement
language sql
as $BODY$
    SELECT CASE WHEN $2 is NULL THEN $1 ELSE $2 END;
$BODY$;

CREATE AGGREGATE mylastval(anyelement) (
    SFUNC = lastval_sfunc,
    STYPE = anyelement
);

Outputs:

select myfirstval(b), mylastval(b) from unnest(array[3,2,null,12,-1]::int[]) b;
 myfirstval | mylastval
------------+-----------
          3 |        -1

 select myfirstval(b order by b), mylastval(b order by b) from unnest(array[3,2,null,12,-1]::int[]) b;
 myfirstval | mylastval
------------+-----------
         -1 |        12

select myfirstval(b), mylastval(b)  from generate_series(10,20000) as b;
 myfirstval | mylastval
------------+-----------
         10 |     20000

select myfirstval(b), mylastval(b) from unnest(array['c','b','t','x']::text[]) b;
 myfirstval | mylastval
------------+-----------
 c          | x

Bye,
Matija Lesar

Re: first_value/last_value

From
Alexey Bashtanov
Date:
Hello Tom,

I agree such functions are very useful, as they allow you to use ordinary aggregation functions such as sum/max/avg
along with first/last ones (traditionally served by DISTINCT ON or LIMIT) in the same group-by node
which improves performance and readability.

The first/last extension you mentioned http://pgxn.org/dist/first_last_agg/ has a slight disadvantage:
it relies on postgres providing it sorted data if user asks for defined ordering.
This makes first/last functions not supporting hashAgg, only groupAgg which usually requires explicit sort.

If you find first_last_agg performance poor take a look at argm extension http://pgxn.org/dist/argm/ .
It provides similar functionality but works faster as it does not sort or make postgres core sort,
but only chooses the first row within each group.

As for the original question unfortunately the way from an extension to postgres core is not too easy
and normally requires an extension to become popular and to be included in postgres distribution as a contrib module first.

Regards,
  Alexey Bashtanov

Date: